Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th May 2012, 13:39
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Stirling Mark I photograph - sold Ebay - 1st H2S set captured?

Good night to all members!
Thanks to ED WEST, who frequently do post Ebay links and photographs on this magnificent Forum, we were able to follow up (and bid) some very nice pictures on Ebay. One of them, recently sold at the price of 159 Euros (Unfortunately I am not the winner...though I bid! ) is that of a Short Stirling Mark I (early turret) with a "nose art" on the left side (like a Canguru" or "Horse" ). Could this Stirling be that one shot down on the Netherlands during the Raid to Cologne, which enabled the Germans to put hands on the first H2S captured set?
Yours
Adriano S. Baumgartner
PS: By the way...congratulations for the winner...certainly a nice photograph that many of us would have liked to use on books/projects too....
From Wikipedia:
On a raid to Cologne on 2/3 February 1943, a Stirling Pathfinder was shot down over the Netherlands. The H2S set it was carrying was damaged but not beyond repair (fortunately for the Germans it was only the second operational use of H2S), and, known as the Rotterdam Gerät, Telefunken was able to reassemble it, with the exception of the PPI display that had been destroyed. Eventually this led to the development of the Naxos radar detector, which enabled Luftwaffe night fighters to home on the transmissions of H2S.[1]

Last edited by Adriano Baumgartner; 21st August 2015 at 12:36.