Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th January 2009, 12:59

fczwolle is on a distinguished road
Fw Günther Liersch-NJG 6

Hi everybody,

I was hoping there is somebody who has some documentation of NJG 6.
I am currently researching a Mosquito crash (2 KIA) of 608 squadron on 06.12.1944 in Wijhe (the Netherlands)
Fw Günther Liersch of 11./NJG 6 should be the nightfighter who shot down the Mosquito.I looked on Tony Wood's website and for 06.12.1944 Fw Liersch is credited for three victories but these are four engined bombers.
Also I found somewhere on the internet a casualty list of NJG 6 and according to that list Fw Liersch is KIA on...06.12.1944 !
Is there somebody who can tell me more about Fw Liersch and what has happened on the 6th december 1944?

regards Mike
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:06

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fw Günther Liersch-NJG 6

Hi Mike,

According to Werner Kock's war diary of NJG 6, Liersch shot down 3 lancasters at 20.17, 20.19 and 20.20 hours, he was attacked by a Mosquito at 20.45 hours and made a belly landing at Rhein-Main. According to the book he and his crew were unhurt and the aircraft, a Bf 110, sustained 20% damage.

Hope this helps, David.
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:14
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Mike,

why do you believe the Mosquito was shot down by a nightfighter. I had a quick look thru my files, but did not make a note of that when I researched Overijssel (NL) losses in the early and mid eighties.

cheers,

John
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:04

Hi David and John,

Thank's a lot for your responses.The reason why I believe Fw Liersch shot the Mosquito is because I got some documentation from the Wijhe archive and the name of Liersch was mentioned as responsible for shooting down the Mosquito.
It it interesting to read the quote of Werner Kock's diary.That Liersch was attacked by a Mosquito at 20.45 uur.Because I read a report from 07.12.1944 from a local police officer about the Mosquito crash and he mentioned that the Mosquito crashed at approximately at 20.45.
So it could be that Fw Liersch was responsible for the Mosquito crash but was never credited for it.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:20

mhuxt

There was a claim for a 110 damaged by a BSDU Mosquito near Frankfurt that night. If Liersch crashed at 20.45 at Rhein Main, he's unlikely to have attacked the other Mossie at the same moment in the Netherlands.
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:24

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just read through the entry again from the NJG 6 war diary. I slightly misread the transalation but it does say he shot at/attacked a Mosquito and then was forced to belly land!

Hope this makes things a little clearer!

All the best, David
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:44
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Mike,

it would help if you scan that document from the Wijhe archive and post it here. Again, I think it is highly unlikely Liersch flew that far northwest to shoot down that Mossie.....

the KTB doesn't say that Liersch shot at a Mosquito, only that he was shot down by a Mosquito...

John
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:39

Thank's guys for your responses.Reading this it's indeed seems unlikely that Liersch was responsible for the Mosquito crash in Wijhe.
The document from the Wijhe archive was created by the author of a book which covers the war years in Wijhe.I will talk to him next week and ask him how he got to the name of Liersch for shooting down the Mosquito.Because on the document he gave no source.