Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th August 2012, 02:44
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Wright Field Luftwaffe report list, part one

I have just acquired a set of mimeographed documents that list reports on developments in Luftwaffe aviation. There is no index or other way of finding a specific item aside from going through the whole thing. It appears I have around 200 pages divided among 5 different sets. Other material is included related to Japanese aircraft, Italian research, torpedoes and some miscellaneous subjects. For the benefit of researchers here, I will copy some items of interest. Misspellings do occur, but some may not be obvious. This post will only cover Set One.

Title:

Air Materiel Command
Air Documents Division, Intelligence T-2
Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio

Joint Army and Navy List Of Completed Translations

Explanation of the code in left-hand margin of list

A Army

N Navy

RTP Royal Technical Publications

A F -TS623-RE

N CDG-141

The aerodynamic development of the long range rocket A9 (A4b). (Aerodynamische Entwicklung der Fernrakete A9 (A-4B). By Dr. Lehnert/R. Hermann/H. Kurzweg. Wasserbau-Versuchsanstalt Kochelsee. W.V.A. report 66/190. Translated by Boeing Aircraft

N CGD-10 Aircraft design and development work at Huetter G.m.b.H. Wolfgang Huetter. Paris, July 20, 1945. 7 pages

R.T.P. T-2 An apparatus for the location of aircraft by means of the Doppler effect on wireless waves.
By Guglielmo Zanotelli

N PT E-585-45 Bomb control by television. Report: Nav TechMis Eu serial No. 791. Restricted. 18 August 1945.
10 pages

N CGD-105 Catapult seat with gunpowder propulsion. By Henecke. Nov. 22, 1945. TB 87/43. Ryan translation. 6 pages

A F-TS525-RE Comparison of the 8-229 and the Go P-60 all-wing airplanes (Genuberstellung 8-229/Go P-60 Gothaer Waggonfabrik A.G.). By Nauber. Flugzeugbau-Entwicklung. 1945

A F-TS468-RE
N CGD-63

Description of construction No. 1603, Dornier night fighter Do 335 B-6 with 1 DB 603 E and 1 DB 603 EQ (Baubeschreibung Nr. 1603 Dornier-Nachtjager Do 335 B-6 mit 1 DB 603 E u. 1 DB 603 EQ). Dornier 1 / 2 / 45.
13 pages. 4 ill

A F-TS540-RE Description of the project P 01-114 under construction (Projektbaubeschreibung P 01-114). Messerschmitt A.G.
ADRC

A F-TS566-RE Dornier-high speed bomber Do-335 (Do P 232/3) with special jet engine (Baubeschreibung No. 1573 Dornier Scnellbomber Do 335 (Do P 232/3) mit Sondertriebwerk.
Erprobungsstelle Rechlin

A F-TS648-RE Flettner helicopter FL-282 “Kolibri”. Translated by Bell Aircraft

N F2 ORD-346-46 Guided Missiles. German report: Jet propulsion drive for Hs 117. Report L 127, BIOS/Gp2/HEC/174, 18 October 1945. Unclassified. 27 December 1944, 7 pages

N CGD-50 Heinkel project: He 162 performance with Jumo 004. By Hohbach. Landsberg, 17 July 1945. AAF translation.
17 pages

A F-TS637-RE Report on helicopter developments in Germany. R. H. Prewitt. Translated By Kellett Aircraft

A F-TS407-RE
N CGD-2

Wood-burning jet unit (Der Holz-Strahl-Motor). By Prof. Hermann Oberth. Reinsdorf, March 12, 1945

Ed
Old 11th August 2012, 19:27

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wright Field Luftwaffe report list, part one

Dear Ed,

Thanks for sharing from this list for us.

As background, the USAAF and US Navy had a joint program to translate captured German documents of interest. While some were likely translated in-house, many were contracted out for translation.

Those reports translated by the Navy or under its supervision were assigned CGD numbers, with CGD standing for "Captured German Document". There were about 1200 or so documents in the Navy's series. A seemingly complete set of these can be found at NARA II.

Those reports translated by the USAAF or under its supervision were assigned F-TS-xxxx-RE numbers. These went into the multi-thousands. Some of the subjects covered were pretty arcane. The only set of which I am aware is in the NY Public Library system.

Many of the original German language reports can be found on microfilm at the NASM Archives at the Udvar-Hazy Center near/at the Dulles Airport in Chantilly, Virginia. These were originally cataloged in volumes identified as The Desk Catalog of Captured German and Japanese Air Technical Documents. The NASM Archives has both a card catalog of the documents and a pretty complete electronic version, although, to the best of my knowledge, the electronic version is only accessible within the NASM's computer network.

Later to the microfiliming of the original documents and subsequent to the translation effort, a new series of documents was created designated ATI-xxxxx with the German original and translation combined into a single document. These are on microfilms and are held at the Defense Technical Information Center which, unfortunately, are only directly accessible by the government or government contractors. The image quality of these microfilms leaves a lot to be desired. Generally, the English translation is more readable than is the German original.

I have spent a lot of time trying to cross index all of these documents. The list is a work in progress. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, please contact me by e-mail if you know my address or give me your e-mail address by PM.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited by Richard T. Eger; 12th August 2012 at 00:43.
Old 12th August 2012, 00:29
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wright Field Luftwaffe report list, part one

Dear Richard,

Thank you for that very helpful information. It provides an orientation point for me. From time to time, I stumble across things like this while looking for other things, like certain B.I.O.S. and C.I.O.S. reports. Since I do not have my black belt in Luftwaffe research, I am spending time looking at non-standard resources. For example, I am picking up used books about aviation work in the US published in the late 1940s and early 1950s, that make reference to German work, and, of most interest to me, list papers, either in German or English (mostly) that refer to work done in Germany during the war.

Thanks again,
Ed