Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th March 2014, 13:10
chingoo

Trying to trace a shot down bf109

Hello,

I am trying to see if it is possible to find out the identity of a bf109 pilot shot down on the 4th July near the village of Le-Fresne Camilly in Normandy?

Can anyone advise on how I would go about finding this information?

Many thanks,

Ian
Old 18th March 2014, 21:23
chingoo

Tracing bf109s shot down around Le Fresne Camilly, Normandy

Hello,

I am new to the site and wandering if I can get some advice/help.

I am trying to find out if it is possible to find out the pilot names for bf109's shot down near Le Fresne Camilly, Normandy on the June 24th and July 4th, as well as any information on aircraft shot down on the 14th July in the same area.

Is there a source/website I can check for myself, or if anyone has the information, it would be a great help.

Many thanks,

Ian
Old 18th March 2014, 23:22
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough
Re: Tracing bf109s shot down around Le Fresne Camilly, Normandy

Welcome here Ian,

As for tracing your query, you might consider chickening on Jean-Bernard Frappé 1998 opus called "La Luftwaffe face au Débarquement allié: 6 juin air 31 août 1944", Edition Heimdahl. You've got there a daily loss report for all German fighters shot down during the timespan you're looking at.

I have this book but won't be near it before Thursday. I'm confident other experts here will have provided solid answers to your question way before then ;-).

Cheers
Marc
Old 19th March 2014, 08:36
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hello Ian,

Are you sure that one bf 109 has been down by Le Fresne-Camilly?
Local testimony/story?

In the meantime, If any losses indicated as "near Caen" how do we know it's in your area?

Regards, Franck.
Old 19th March 2014, 08:51
chingoo

Thanks for the replies.

@Marc, I tried finding a copy of that book, but seems it is pretty rare. If you wouldn't mind having a look for me when you get a chance, it would be much appreciated.

@Franck, I have said it was near Le Fresne Camilly because the claims were made by Light Anti Aircraft Units located in that area (109 (Royal Sussex) LAA, RA). It may be that the planes crashed away from that area, so were recorded as another city?