Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd May 2015, 17:38

barneybolac is on a distinguished road
3 Gruppo C.202.

I have been trying to find a photo of this German marked solid green painted C.202.

Old 3rd May 2015, 22:38

veltro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 3 Gruppo C.202.

AFAIK,(and leaving alone the ID of the two drawings, which is at least very doubtful) these below are the two only photographs I've ever seen of dark green ANR C.202s (well, one and a third, actually)...

Being used only in second-line and/or training units, not only there were very few of then among ANR ranks (many were brought to Germany to be used in their training schools), but they also were not so often pictured.

Hope it helps.

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 3rd May 2015, 23:08

I have plenty of images of Italian C.202's that are dark green. I even have a partial German marked C.202 or C.205 from the Balkans.

Old 4th May 2015, 02:35

Just to be clear, since the title of the thread dealt with an ANR unit, I reported about the C.202s flown and operated by the ANR, not the Luftwaffe ones.

Those flown and operated by the Germans (or by the Croats) were all another matter.

BTW, I have no trace or report of Axis-flown C.205s operating in the Balkans (even those of II./JG 77 were flown only in Italy), but would love to be proven wrong.

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 5th May 2015, 15:22

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

barneybolac, I don't think your image is in green, I believe this image is the other side, and shows a mottle/dot pattern. I have this as Macchi C202 Red 13, pilot Konrad Augner, Orange, France, March 1944 unit unknown but likely to be a training unit. I don't think trusting a profile not matter how good the artist is a good idea.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisS; 13th July 2015 at 22:38.
Old 5th May 2015, 18:22

Chris, you're perfectly right.

That tightly mottled scheme was the one used by Breda on the C.202s they produced for the Germans in 1944.

It can be clearly seen on the wing in the attached image of one of such planes heavily damaged on Bresso airfield (used by Breda factory) after an Allied bombardment on late April 1944.

BTW, among the documents survived, there are also the individual data cards of those C.202s and several of them reports Orange airfield as their final destination.

Ferdinando D'Amico
Old 5th May 2015, 19:21
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hi Ferdinando,

Nice to see you smiling behind your glasses !

As for Mc 202 at Orange: Jagdlehrer-Überprüfungsgruppe

And, apparently, still in use in JG110 in Germany ...
Old 6th May 2015, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
barneybolac, I don't think your image is in green, I believe this image is the other side, and shows a mottle/dot pattern. I have this as Macchi C202 Red 13, pilot Konrad Augner, Orange, France, March 1944 unit unknown but likely to be a training unit. I don't think trusting a profile not matter how good the artist is a good idea.

Chris

The photo with the smiling soldier was from a Croatian web site. He is not wearing a German uniform but a Partisan uniform per the Croatian web site. I don't know of Balkan styled uniformed Partisans operating in France that would be photographed next to French based German operated C.202's.
Old 6th May 2015, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneybolac View Post
The photo with the smiling soldier was from a Croatian web site. He is not wearing a German uniform but a Partisan uniform per the Croatian web site. I don't know of Balkan styled uniformed Partisans operating in France that would be photographed next to French based German operated C.202's.
Yes, Barney, but the C.202s operated by the Croats came from the same originary source, that is those built by Breda that gave them to the Germans which - in turn - handed over a few of them to the Croats... that is, both those in Orange and that of your photo came from the same place and were camouflaged in the same way.

Ferdinando D'Amico