Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th November 2017, 23:04

Luftwaffle8 is on a distinguished road
Victory scores on Luftwaffe fighters on the Eastern Front

About 35 years ago, I happened to chat with a German mechanic who serviced their fighters on the Eastern Front. He said pilots in his squadron did not paint kill markings on their planes in case they were shot down and captured. It would not bode well for the pilot.

I told the guy that I've seen photos of Luftwaffe aces with elaborately decorated rudders, depicting a Knights Cross with lots of victory bars. He commented: "Most likely done for the newspapers back home."

I've talked with several former GIs who fought in Europe. There was a rumor going around that if you were captured and they found a Luger or German personal affects on you, they'd shoot yon on the spot. True or not, they avoided taking souvenirs until the war ended.

I wonder if the comment about Luftwaffe pilots not advertising their kills on their fighters is true??