Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st September 2014, 18:26

ChristianK is on a distinguished road
Re: Source for color profile of Bf 109 G-10 491300, "White 36", IV/JG 301?

Ah ok, this makes sense then. Thanks Jerry for clearing that up!

Cheers,
Christian
Old 1st September 2014, 22:55
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

needs some explanations here.

- Yes JFV plans? I mean to expect to see the picture?
Could have been LiF or whatsoever, just an example... Matches perfectly with "a prominent Luftwaffe Historian"

- Yes, during the sixties Ries did publish some "MARKIERUNGEN und TARNANSTRICHE DER LUFTWAFFE IM 2. WELTKRIEG", from 1963 to 1972, in which it was possible to find a beautiful K-4, two tone green coloured etc...
without any picture to prove, at least the markings if not the colours. We all know what happened since then.

This is what I call "Time for Hartmann green Bf109K-4 published in Ries is over, since long!" You can like it or not, it changes nothing about what did happen during following years, i.e. 1000 of modellers building beautiful models of something which didn't exist.

And, indeed, John, we don't know for sure he didn't fly a Bf109K-4 since his unit flew that plane among other types.
But I will not try to build a modell without proof! ... And selling decals without any evidence except "believe me I got the picture" is what I call Ries syndrom.

Last, John, you said it: "After all, he is in business to make profit"!...

He has the right, no problem, but I have the right too to say I won't put a penny into it!.. Until further evidence! ..

Beware decals have an expiration time

Best regards, Franck.
Old 1st September 2014, 23:55

Jerry Crandall

Franck,
We have the photo which we will publish in a forthcoming book. Unfortunately, the W.Nr. is not known or visible in many photos as in the case of the Hartmann Erla G-10 but decals are still published to satisfy the modelers interest. Most of the time the opposite side camouflage is not known nor the upper wing and tail patterns is visible. Decal producers usually offer suggested ideas for the missing information or the modeler follows his best educated guess. By the way, are you a modeler? If you want to discuss the decal you are so stressed about please free to call me or send me an email so we talk in person, face to face so to speak.
Jerry
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:30
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Dear all, I am not an expert like the Historians who posted on this Thread and do not have too much to add about the particular aircraft, but there are two interesting things one should have in mind about different images of the same aircraft (werknummer):
1- Were the "ditto" pictures taken on the same month/period of the year (I mean those two different pictures came from the same owner and were taken the same day)?
2- One must remember that this particular Bf 109 G-10 may have been re-painted for one particular reason, during its career...so this may be the reason for 2 different shots or pictures of his tail, which do NOT invalid the veracity of both photos....

This is why, I particularly believe both pictures or shots may be correct and depicts the same machine.

Humbly yours, and by the way, congratulations for the most interesting thread.
Adriano.