Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st August 2014, 17:29
Jim Funk

3./KG51 Aircraft 9k+BL paint scheme?

Hello everyone. I am looking for definitive information on the paint scheme and other markings for H.C. Buttmann's aircraft, 9k+BL (me 262) the day he was shot down over Holland, 05 Oct 44. I am painting the battle between the 5 Canadians and Buttmann and his wingman.
Old 1st September 2014, 06:12

G.R.Morrison
Re: 3./KG51 Aircraft 9k+BL paint scheme?

Hptm. Hans-Christoph Büttmann was KIA 5.Oct. 1944 near Nijmegen in Me 262A-2a WNr.170093 of 3./KG(J)51. Most photos of I/KG(J)51 machines in this period show a dense, dark scribbled or mottled camouflage. This unit decorated its jets with a colored nose tip (yellow for 3. Staffel) and sometimes the tip of the fin/rudder.

If you wish to see how artist Jim Laurier interpreted this finish, find Forsyth & Creek, Me 262 Bomber and Reconnaissance Units (Osprey Combat Aircraft No.83, c2013), wherein you will find examples from 1. & 2. Staffeln, though not 3. If you are unfamiliar with these, the unit code “9K” was painted quite small, to the left of the fuselage cross, the individual letter to the right of the cross: “B” full-size, in yellow, and a small Staffel designator (L for 3. Staffel). Our db lists Foreman/Harvey, Me 262 Combat Diary as having a photo on p.73, but the title is not at-hand, so I cannot comment on it.

Good luck with your painting,

GRM

P.S. I don’t recall if there was a second Me 262 in the 401 Sq. encounter, but Uffz. Gerhard Francke of 3./KG(J)51 was lost 5.Oct. 1944 in WNr.170082, “9K+PL” in an air battle at Engden near Nordholm.
Old 1st September 2014, 10:57
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

A small point: KG 51 did not become a KG(J) unit, only KG 6, 27, 30, 54 and 55 were redesignated, in November 1944. All the renamed units were non-operational at that time whereas I. and II./KG 51 were active in the bombing role.

German signals traffic always refers to KG 51 with one exception that I have seen, in April 1945. That seems to have been a one-off so I suspect it was just an error by the sender of the message.

Last edited by Nick Beale; 2nd September 2014 at 20:27. Reason: Typo.
Old 1st September 2014, 15:53

G.R.Morrison

Thanks, Nick.

"You can learn something new every day - if you're not careful." ;-)

GRM
Old 1st September 2014, 16:00

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

Jim,

I might add a few additional comments to the detailed information provided by George and Nick.

This aircraft was a Schwbäisch-Hall built machine, and like the other early Me 262 aircraft from the 1700xx werknummer series was originally painted in the grey RLM 74/75 uppersurface scheme with 76 undersides. The scheme’s relative brightness was totally unsuitable for ground concealment, thus KG 51 resorted to applying a meandering pattern of dark green over it.

Per George’s comments, it is probable that the tip of the tail and nose were painted yellow indicative of the unit’s 3. Staffel (L), with the aircraft’s code letter “B” painted yellow and outlined in black. As well, the aircraft’s code letter “B” would have been painted on the small nose wheel door. The werknummer would appear on both sides of the tailfin just above the horizontal stabilizer.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by David E. Brown; 2nd September 2014 at 04:06.