Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th March 2015, 01:25

Pete63 is on a distinguished road
Re: captured helicopter

Well, thanks, Richard... I feel a bit embarrassed as I have just checked the old LEMB Forum (Dave Evans's Luftwaffe Message Board) and I've seen that there was an old set of pictures of the previous Ebay sales and guess what... There is even physical evidence of Slipway 1 being the one that was used for loading the aircraft onto the Rhino Barges..! I wish I had checked this before, but I'm afraid I didn't take the time to do so... This would have saved some time, but it kept the mind clear during research I guess... Anyway, as I see it - our mutual efforts have resulted in getting as far as we stand now. This is the way historical research has to be - when working together people can solve more questions than when one is working alone... You kept me sharp by asking critical questions. Thanks for the cooperation - I liked it very much..!
Greetings,
Piet Bouma
The Netherlands

Last edited by Pete63; 17th March 2015 at 01:33. Reason: Picture added...
Old 17th March 2015, 04:18

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Piet,

Yes, I looked at the shoals and said to myself "What a crappy place slipway 1 would have been to load the barges." The photo confirms it. Look at how the barge is lifted up onto a sandbar!!! That's assuming that is, indeed, a sandbar. They must have used the tides to make it work or stopped after the first barge loading. At least the sandbar or whatever it is would have kept the barge firmly in place during loading.

You've further added to our knowledge, for which I am most grateful.

Regards,
Richard
Old 17th March 2015, 09:09

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Agreed. Piet - your input to this has been greatly appreciated.
Old 17th March 2015, 15:15

Pete63 is on a distinguished road

You're welcome, Richard and Steve - it's an interesting subject.
I liked the research a lot..!
Greetings,
Piet