Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th January 2022, 12:14

Steve49 is on a distinguished road
Visiting the Bundesarchiv

Good morning,

I wonder if anybody could offer any advice on getting documents from the Bundesarchiv?

In the present circumstances we all find ourselves in, its unlikely that I'll be in a position to visit there any time soon, so I wonder if anybody could advise/recommend if there is somebody who provides a paid service for visiting and copying documents for others?

Regards,

Steve
Old 28th January 2022, 12:34

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Visiting the Bundesarchiv

You could try Sebastian Remus.

E-Mail: remusresearch@t-online.de

I've used him a number of times and the quality of his images is excellent. His charges (assuming they are unchanged) are:

EUR 0.20 per image

His time charge is EUR 38 per hour but quite often as long as he is given a large enough order, he'll waive the time charge.

He doesn't ask for payment in advance but doesn't release the images until he has been paid, sending out an invoice on completion of the work. You'll need to pay him by bank transfer. Files are then sent out by post on discs. He only accesses the internet via his mobile phone so for that reason doesn't send images via WeTransfer (or similar).

I've never had any difficulties with him even when I've given him requests to part copy a file. He was also very helpful to me in getting access to PERS-1 files and Fliegerkarteikarten.

Please feel free to mention my recommendation.

Last edited by Steve Coates; 28th January 2022 at 13:04.
Old 28th January 2022, 13:01

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Steve that's very helpful. Apologies for the stupid question, but I obtained the personnel records of my Great-Uncle a few years back as his closest relative (well my dad submitted the request!), but I understand you can't get the records of anyone else unless you are directly related? Just curious as I really would love to find out more about some of the pilots I own Flugbucher for....
Old 28th January 2022, 13:12

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

That's no longer the case. It was when these files were held by the former BA-ZNS. Sebastian has been incredibly useful in helping me to access these files as well as the Fliegerkarteikarten. You will of course need to search on Invenio to see if a Luftwaffenpersonalamt file is available for any of your guys. Indeed, the BA-MA has digitised quite a chunk of files relating to the higher echelon members of the Luftwaffe

PERS-1 relates to those who had a post-war career in the Bundeswehr. These are not searchable but their files will contain some documentation relating to 39-45 and as I mentioned Sebastian was a huge help in accessing these as they have to be agreed to be released.

There is no searchable index for the Fliegerkarteikarten but index cards can exist for officers for whom no PERS-6 file exists.

In short, it's sometimes a question of throwing mud at a wall and seeing what sticks but some of these files contain fabulous nuggets.
Old 28th January 2022, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Coates View Post
You could try Sebastian Remus.

E-Mail: remusresearch@t-online.de

I've used him a number of times and the quality of his images is excellent. His charges (assuming they are unchanged) are:

EUR 0.20 per image

His time charge is EUR 38 per hour but quite often as long as he is given a large enough order, he'll waive the time charge.

He doesn't ask for payment in advance but doesn't release the images until he has been paid, sending out an invoice on completion of the work. You'll need to pay him by bank transfer. Files are then sent out by post on discs. He only accesses the internet via his mobile phone so for that reason doesn't send images via WeTransfer (or similar).

I've never had any difficulties with him even when I've given him requests to part copy a file. He was also very helpful to me in getting access to PERS-1 files and Fliegerkarteikarten.

Please feel free to mention my recommendation.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that I'll drop him a message.

Regards

Steve
Old 28th January 2022, 13:26

Siko54 is on a distinguished road

Steve that's absolutely amazing thank you. I have messaged Sebastian and asked if he would be able to assist. Many thanks for your help...I am a total novice at this and just trying to find more out on some of the notable characters I own Flugbucher for. I guess the next issue is whether their records survived the war...sadly my Grandfathers (a Hungarian officer) didn't
Old 28th January 2022, 13:39

Si

Searching on Invenio is straightforward once you get the hang of it. If you have any difficulties, feel free to PM me (with your e-mail address) as I have written up a guide for a friend you'd be more than welcome to see.

Steve
Old 28th January 2022, 15:20
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

Bundsarchiv has been closed for 2 years, due to covid. Highly doubt they are open now.

They do not give out as much as they used to...for example, I had to get my attorney involved to get scans, as too many people are getting scans and them re-selling them on eBay.

Mike
Old 28th January 2022, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
Bundsarchiv has been closed for 2 years, due to covid. Highly doubt they are open now.

They do not give out as much as they used to...for example, I had to get my attorney involved to get scans, as too many people are getting scans and them re-selling them on eBay.

Mike
Cheers, I see that their website says that they're open for researchers, but only for those who have made a booking (much like Kew was for much of last year).

So hopefully I'll be able to find someone who provides a copying service.

Regards,

Steve
Old 28th January 2022, 17:16
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

It has not been closed. Only part time. But last year was fully booked allready in spring.
And as Steve has told us you can access the Personalunterlagen, but only officers. NCO's and privates papers were transferred to WASt in Berlin.
Junker