Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th January 2022, 17:21
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Visiting the Bundesarchiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
Bundsarchiv has been closed for 2 years, due to covid. Highly doubt they are open now.

They do not give out as much as they used to...for example, I had to get my attorney involved to get scans, as too many people are getting scans and them re-selling them on eBay.

Mike

Getting scans and re-selling them on eBay. Appalling. I recently posted a handbook listed on German eBay with a Bundesarchiv stamp.

Ed
Old 28th January 2022, 17:37

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju55dk View Post
It has not been closed. Only part time. But last year was fully booked allready in spring.
And as Steve has told us you can access the Personalunterlagen, but only officers. NCO's and privates papers were transferred to WASt in Berlin.
Junker
As Jörn has said, it's not been closed at all but has been open on a limited places basis and is certainly currently open.

Jörn - when you say that 'NCO's and private papers were transferred to WASt in Berlin', are you in a position to provide guidance as to exactly what they hold and what might be accessible? I understand that the microfilmed records of NCO's previously held by the BA-ZNS were sent to Freiburg but have now degraded to such a state that they are beyond salvage.
Old 28th January 2022, 17:42

Steve49 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju55dk View Post
It has not been closed. Only part time. But last year was fully booked allready in spring.
And as Steve has told us you can access the Personalunterlagen, but only officers. NCO's and privates papers were transferred to WASt in Berlin.
Junker
I'm looking for copies of various reports related to the Dieppe raid, so hopefully I can find someone who is able to provide that service.

If not I can only hope that the world starts to open up more as 2022 progresses and then maybe I can hope to make a visit myself in 2023...

Regards,

Steve
Old 28th January 2022, 19:04
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

I was informed by the staff at Aachen, were the Personalakte were before beeing moved. They stated that only officers went to Freiburg. All others went to Berlin.
Junker
Old 28th January 2022, 20:20
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Junker is correct, Officers Personalakten went to Freiburg and can be ordered or viewed. Only if they are Pers 1 records meaning they went into the Bundesluftwaffe it is more complicated. Personalakten of NCO's and lower grades went to BAPA Berlin (former WAST) and cannot be accessed. And of course not every Akte survived and their contents can vary a lot. I have Personalakten of Officers of over 300 pages and others as few as 5 pages.

J.
Old 28th January 2022, 21:14

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

John

Have you ever seen an example of a file for an NCO? I say this because when I enquired of the BA-ZNS back several decades ago, I was only offered print outs of cards from microfilm.

Steve
Old 28th January 2022, 21:23
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

I have some from Aachen. Exampel Ogfr. Hoppe 19 pages with Wehrstambuch and different tranfer papers. Not from microfilm.
Junker
Old 28th January 2022, 21:33

Jörn

Thanks. That's mildly hopeful.

Steve
Old 28th January 2022, 23:30
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Steve,

Yes, I have seen probably around 100+ files or so. Some of them with "everything" (Wehrstammbuch, Soldbuch, Beurteilungen, etc.). Some of them "nothing"...it is just like the officers. Maybe less complete.

John
Old 29th January 2022, 00:10

John

Thanks.

Steve