Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th April 2011, 10:21
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Beaufighter vs ship Embla, April 1944

It appears that 14 Squadron lost Marauder FK159 on 19 April 1944 on a recce mission, but I don't know if this has anything to do with the Embla sinking.
Marauder was shot down by fighters. All crew members missing (Budge, Hull, Schroder, MacKinnon, Power, Hutton).

Source: 14sqn-association.org.uk

Regards,

Leendert
Old 9th April 2011, 23:11
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Beaufighter vs ship Embla, April 1944

Thanks Guys

The book I quote from only has the Swedish sources as a basis. Most probably the author is either quoting
a) What the crew thought they saw (and personally I don't think they would be capable of identifying with certainty anything else than the number of engines...)
b) What he has been given when asking around/checking second hand sources.
With regard to the British losses, there were fishing boats around, but no collision is quoted as having been seen.

One thing is certain, the Swedish ship was completely unarmed when it came to AA guns. I am pretty certain the crew did not carry any hand arms either.... I don't think anyone even at the time thought it was a deliberate attack.

During WW 2 the Swedish Merchant Navy lost 289 ships due to various activities of the waring nations. That said, it should be noticed that a large number of these had been leased by one or the other side and even though the ships were neutral by state they were not neutral by act.
Cheers
Stig