Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd February 2008, 15:07

soalebm is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe in Foggia, Italy

I am wondering if anyone can tell me when the Germans began using the area around Foggia, Italy or when the completed the various complexes. I also want to know what units flew from Foggia before the allies captured the base in 43.' Any maps, photos, etc. would be great!
thanks,
Brandon
Old 23rd February 2008, 16:10
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe in Foggia, Italy

Thus webpage will be usefull for You:

http://www.ww2.dk/

Cheers!
Old 25th February 2008, 19:02

soalebm is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe in Foggia, Italy

Thanks a lot I have actually used this site before. From what I can tell the airfields around Foggia were used as a stepping stone to N. Africa and not until 1943 were units assigned there. I read about a bombing raid against landing craft near sicily before the invasion of mainland Italy. I assume it was He 111s and Do-217s used but I can't find anymore. I wonder what the germans labeled the airfields around Foggia?