Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th April 2007, 19:18

Yves Marino
USAAF chemical tanks

Hi everybody!
Can somebody help me with any information about the so called “chemical tanks” used by the USAAF during WW II. They could be carried on modified underwing bomb racks. Were they some type of chemical weapon or is this a common description for napalm-tanks?

Old 18th April 2007, 22:39
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: USAAF chemical tanks

Possibly DDT sprayers. These were carried by T-6s in Korea, and other aircraft at other times.
Old 18th April 2007, 23:22

Yves Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
Possibly DDT sprayers. These were carried by T-6s in Korea, and other aircraft at other times.
Thanks Graham!
I found a note about the modified bomb racks to carry chemical tanks in the production data of one of the last B-25 blocks (-25), built in 1945.
DDT was used to combat insects, not against the enemy.
Or am I wrong?
Old 19th April 2007, 00:20
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

There was considerable effort put into DDT spraying on the India-Burma front, I believe, to reduce the incidence of malaria, although I don't recall seeing any photos. I have seen a photo of a Fw 58 fitted with similar devices, though presumably not DDT in this case.

However, yet another possibility is smoke generators, as were carried by RAF Bostons in their bombbays.
Old 19th April 2007, 06:01

Yves Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
However, yet another possibility is smoke generators, as were carried by RAF Bostons in their bombbays.
Hi Graham!
Smoke generators were carried on the standard wing bomb racks of B-25, also by earlier models than B-25J-25, what is mentioned to be the first block with modificated racks for "chemical tanks".
I've found this photo of a chemical tank from the same period (not used on B-25!), which was strictly for use with chemical weapons, not for pesticides or napalm (as per my expectations).