Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th December 2005, 10:23

fauste is on a distinguished road
Any photo of Ar-234 F1+AA exist???

I think that the Ar-234 B F1+AA was captured at Schleswig at the end of the war and this a/c was flown by R. Kowalewski (Kmdr of Kg-76). Any photo of this a/c exists? Which is the Wk Nr?

Regards
Old 20th December 2005, 10:50

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Any photo of Ar-234 F1+AA exist???

Hello Fauste,
according to the book of Manfred Griehl "Strahlflugzeug Arado Ar 234" F1+AA had the Wk.Nr. 140113 and the Stkz. GM+BM. There is no photo of this plane in the book but a color profile (page 97).
Hope this helps
Robert
Old 20th December 2005, 11:27
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

There's a photo in the third voulme of the old Kookooburra series on Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings (by Smith & Gallaspy) and probably in the Monogram Monarch "Arado 234 Blitz" (by Smith & Creek) although I don't have my copy to hand to check that.
Old 20th December 2005, 19:16

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

To confirm Nick's comments... "Monogram Monarch 1, Arado 234 Blitz" does indeed carry two images on page 199 of F1+AA - although the caption says that it was captured at Achmer. The Appendix 2 on Werk Nummern says that F1+AA was WNr.140113.

140113 - Ar234 S12 - GM+BM damaged in a bombing attack on Aug 27th 1944, to E-5 Rechlin as E5+20, damaged in a crash landing on Nov 2 1944, replacement for WNr.140104, to KG76 as F1+AA, captured by the RAF at Schleswig, to the UK as AM54, RAF serial VH530, ferried to Tangmere on June 5 1945 by Oblt.Kolm of 8./KG76, to the RAE on June 12 1945 to No.6 MU at Brize Norton on 7 Sept 1945, struck off charge on Oct 1st 1948

Cheers,

Peter D Evans
LEMB moderator
Old 21st December 2005, 04:38

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough
Aircraft identity confusion

There seems to be some confusion regarding the correct identity of Kowalewski's Ar 234, "F1+AA" and the aircraft later identified as Air Min 54 / RAF serial VH 530, WNr.140113.

There are two photos of the aircraft "F1+AA" published on page 199 in Smith and Creek's Monogram Monarch 1 book "Arado 234". They were taken from the 3 and 5 o'clock positions. A white '13' is visible at the top of the fin and a light-coloured (presumably green) 'A' is seen on the fuselage side. This right side of the aircraft is in shadow so the black werknummer and remainder of the verbandkennzeichen can't be seen. Another image, taken from the 2 o'clock position (page 227) doesn't add any additional information. The caption states that the following:

As far as known, this Ar 234 which was captured at Achmer could not be flown out by the British. It had the unit code F1+AA applied to both sides of the fuselage, which would indicate in theory that it was flown by the Geschwader of KG 76 Oberstlt. Robert Kowalewski.

I have a photo in my collection taken from the 2 o'clock location but fully illuminated that shows that this aircarft's werknummer is in fact 140600. Pointedly, there is no entry for this number in the comprehensive werknummer list at the back of the Monarch book (Appendix 2).

Where did the 140113 werknummer assignment come from for this aircraft?

In Smith and Crrek's earlier Monogram publication on the Arado 234 - Close-Up 23 - there is a photo (page 11) of an Ar 234 with its code not visible but with the werknummer clearly readable as 140113. The caption reads:

This photo shows the Ar 234 S13 (the thirteenth production machine) after capture by British troops.

So, these are obviously two different aircraft. But, which was the one that later became Air Min 54 and RAF serial VH530?

Peter Evans has transcribed from the Monarch book information on the aircraft which assigns the wrong werknummer to F1+AA WNr.140600), and wrong code number to WNr.140113 (code unknown). Phil Butler ("War Prizes", p.88 ) more or less repeats what is in the Monarch book (or vice-versa) but claims that "F1+AA" WNr.140113 was surrendered at Schleswig - Smith and Creek state Achmer. Which is correct?

Based on the evidence, and assuming that the Werknummer was correctly noted, I believe that the Arado 234 identified as Air Min 54 / RAF serial VH530 was indeed WNr.140311, the S13 series production aircraft but not "F1+AA". Its full unit code is not (yet) known.

The Arado 234 "F1+AA" is WNr.140600. If, as the British claim, this particular aircraft was found at Achmer and for some reason could not be flown, then it makes sense that if 140311 was in better condition and flyable, it would be of greater value for evaluation. The significance of the white 13 on the top of the fin is not known, but based on the evidence it can't represent a 'series' code since this aircraft was one of the last to be produced.

Finally, I admit I can't answer the question on why the confusion between the two aircraft. This is a mystery and I would be interested in hearing fellow reader's comments.

Cheers,

David
Old 21st December 2005, 11:59

Very interesting stuff there David...

Could it be that there has just been confusion on the WNr allocated to F1+AA? Perhaps the Ar234 S13, WNr.140311, was originally found at Achmer and put aside by the British for further inspection/testing. However when it was found that she was not airworthy, they replaced her with WNr.140600 coded F1+AA which had subsequently been found at Schleswig? It may then be just a matter that the change was not made on the relevant RAF paperwork and the WNr's were swapped?

I agree that the "white 13" would most probably tie in with the Ar234 S13... is this number visible on your photo of 140600?

cheers

Peter D Evans
LEMB moderator
Old 21st December 2005, 17:11

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough
Confusion.

Hi Peter,

Well, I suppose anything is possible regarding mix-ups in aircraft identities - both RAF and Luftwaffe. I know that from experience. For example, I can convincingly prove that the Canadian Me 262 thought buried in Toronto is not Yellow 17 WNr.500210 but another perviously unknown aircraft. More on that later.

Regarding the Ar 234 WNr.140600, please re-read what I stated - this aircraft cannot be the S13 series production aircraft as it was one of the last to be produced. My thinking is that the 13 may have been a personal marking of some sort. I am open to all suggestions, but the evidence simply does not support it being the S13 kite.

Cheers,

David
Old 21st December 2005, 17:22

SMF144

Fauste,

I realize I am not answering your query but I have a good period photo of the Ar-234 in question and when I get home from work this evening, I'll take a look and get back to you.

Regards,

Stephen M. Fochuk
Old 21st December 2005, 17:50

Re: Confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Brown
Regarding the Ar 234 WNr.140600, please re-read what I stated - this aircraft cannot be the S13 series production aircraft as it was one of the last to be produced. My thinking is that the 13 may have been a personal marking of some sort. I am open to all suggestions, but the evidence simply does not support it being the S13 kite.
Of course... silly me! By looking at the detailed shot of the tail in your first post, I can indeed make out the WNr.140600 below the "white 13".

Whilst searching for further images, take a look at the bottom image on page 63 of the Monogram book. There you can find an image of WNr.140113, apparently after capture by the British at Schleswig. I can also make out the last three digits of the WNr "113" on the tail.

With regards the mixing up of WNr's and the possible lack of RAF records, "War Prizes" has many entries against captured types with no codes or werk nummern having been recorded. So it could well be either a case of mistaken identity or even perhaps an incorrect WNr having been recorded on the official documents. I'm also surprised more images of this Ar234 in the UK are not available... unless somebody knows otherwise!

Let's hope that Stephen's image will throw some more light on the subject...

cheers,

Peter D Evans
LEMB moderator

Last edited by Peter D Evans; 21st December 2005 at 17:52. Reason: my reply was not clear enough 1st time around..
Old 21st December 2005, 19:38

Karl
Ar 234 F1+AA

Hello David,

thank you for sharing the photo of Werknummer 140 600, F1+AA.
Interestingly, I have found a Flugbuch-entry with Ar 234, F1+AA: On April 15th 1945 Fw Woerdemann of 6./KG76 made a "Werkstattflug" (testflight), taking off from Luebeck-Blankensee, where he also made a "Eintriebwerklandung" (landing with only one running engine ). At this time Achmer was already occupied by British troops. I don´t know the exact date, but Rheine, located nearby fell to the British on April 6th. So Achmer can not be the place where WNr.140 600 was found.

Best wishes, Karl