Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th August 2016, 13:23

ginamod is on a distinguished road
Smile He-111 Number plate

Hi All,
at the crashite of a He - 111 I found a little aluminum part with significant numbers and abbreviations on it.
Can you say what they would mean ?

Thx a lot for your contributions.
dnalor

Last edited by ginamod; 11th May 2019 at 18:30.
Old 26th August 2016, 02:48

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road
Re: He-111 Number plate

Herst. = Hersteller, or manufacturer

EHF = Ernst Heinkel Flugzeugwerke, or Ernst Heinkel Airplane Works

Z. Nr. = Zeichnung Nummer, or drawing number

BAL = Bauaufsicht des Reichsluftfahrtministeriums, or (loosely) construction inspection of government air ministry (The inspector's stamp normally applied here is missing.)

Werk Nr. = Werk Nummer, or factory (production) number

The Z. Nr. 111429-109 may be decomposed as 111 (airplane model) and 429-109 (drawing [or part identification] number). A guess, perhaps this ID plate (tag or band) was on a flight control part, as 4 (the leading digit) is the construction group number for flight control systems. Anyone have a He111 parts manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamod View Post
Hi All,
at the crashite of a He - 111 I found a little aluminum part with significant numbers and abbreviations on it.
Can you say what they would mean ?

Thx a lot for your contributions.
dnalor
Old 26th August 2016, 03:32
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

All is correct here sfp
Z.Nr. is Zeichnung (drawing Nr.) - could be rudder controls/pedals/wires (aka Ju 88 series) but not the moving controls on wings, elevator or rudder (that was 111.3xx.xxx)
-Ed
Old 26th August 2016, 03:51

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road

Hi Ed,

That's good added info. When I see a plate like this, appearing as a band, apparently attached without rivets, I thinks of parts that do not tolerate or permit drilling (i.e. for typical attachment of plates with discrete fasteners) unlike most airframe sheet structures. Certain flight control parts, among those you called out, fall into the "no drill, no rivet" category.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
All is correct here sfp
Z.Nr. is Zeichnung (drawing Nr.) - could be rudder controls/pedals/wires (aka Ju 88 series) but not the moving controls on wings, elevator or rudder (that was 111.3xx.xxx)
-Ed
Old 26th August 2016, 20:52

ginamod is on a distinguished road

Hello Experts,
many thx for your reply and solution.
Actually the "plate" was a longer band and it broke fortunately just a the end of the text.
Perhaps one day i can look into a He 111 manual.
Best
dnalor