Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 28th October 2021, 15:10
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Has Eagles over Europe project folded and images beeing sold off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Olynyk View Post
Larry Hickey's obit:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...?pid=199875161

Rest in Peace.

Frank.

Thank you, Frank. Very informative obit.

Larry deZ.
Old 28th October 2021, 15:18

AMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gleeson View Post
Ed,

A different man. 'Our' Larry Hickey died 14 August 2021. He lived in Boulder, Colorado. A very sad loss.
It looks like work is continuing on EOP at least. A new book cover has appeared on their website since I last viewed it.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Wonderful, wonderful books no doubt from IHRA over the years, but they are not it seems without controversy. The 38th Bomb Group Association had major legal issues with them trying to push on and have their book published, and eventually had the proposed book “Sunsetters Of The Southwest Pacific Area” published themselves under licence, but that it would be for veterans and their families only.
I was lucky to have made contact with a veteran who before he passed recently, supplied myself and a friend, with two.
This is a magnificent tome with over 700/800 pages, a single volume instead of the two volume envisaged by IHRA, with the same superb layout except for the missing Profiles (probably copyright)…
For all that we’ll not see the likes of these IHRA books too often….

Last edited by AMC; 28th October 2021 at 16:19.
Old 28th October 2021, 16:19
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

As to anyone stepping forward, it will be a massive task but let us wait and see
Old 28th October 2021, 16:36
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Probably as well to move this thread to the "Books" section, I think.
Old 28th October 2021, 18:54
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

Well...I would certainly NOT recommend buying anything from the seller (his family?).

I bought quite a few photos today, and all I got was major attitude in return.

What happened was they have all the listing set as "immediate payment required for buy it now". This stops the ability to buy in bulk. You are essentially required to pay immediately for each individual item, and shipping on top. So what happens is you pay shipping for each individual item and cannot request a total to combine.

I paid something like $25 in shipping, so I asked if they could refund me the difference so I pay the correct shipping costs (I live one State over).

Whoever contacted me back did refund some of it...but talked down to me, telling me that in future I should request a total.

When I told them that the issue was in the listings themselves (unable to request a total, due to the "immediate payment") setting, all I got was them telling me I was the problem.

I assured them that this was a listing issue, and that I would show them how to fix it (so this does not happen again). Their response - "don't tell me how to run my business!"...and..."don't buy from me again"!
Old 28th October 2021, 19:35
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I run the eBay store owned by a close friend. It does happen that eBay, not me, adds or changes features from time to time.

I always recommend that potential buyers contact me for a total shipping price. Since 2006, this has rarely happened.

Note that none of the items on offer are of a military historical nature.

I very much look forward to any updates about EoE since that time period should be covered at that level of detail.

However, I am also aware, due to my years in book publishing, about rights issues, the amount of time that can go

into research and the compiling, organizing and writing that would be involved.

Ed
Old 28th October 2021, 19:52
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

I am Madison Jonas, from IHRA. I'm posting from Larry's account because when I tried to make my own account, it said that registration was disabled for new members. Anyway, I just wanted to answer some of the questions brought up in this thread.

First of all: yes, it’s true that we’re no longer working on the Eagles over Europe project. Larry was the driving force behind that project, and with his passing…we just didn’t have the resources to carry on with it. Last I heard, some of the other people who worked on the project might publish something from the research we all amassed over the years, but that is not something IHRA is involved with any longer. I certainly wish them all the luck.

And yes, I can confirm that is our eBay account. I do want to emphasize—as far as photos go, we are only selling off the photos that we purchased directly and have the original copies. We are not selling any photos that were loaned to us for research purposes or jointly purchased with other people. We have a great deal of respect for the people who shared information with Larry during his lifetime, and we’re not looking to betray that trust.

Regarding the Eagles Over the Pacific project: I’m happy to confirm the manuscript for Harvest of the Grim Reapers, Volume I is at the printer. It is a 528-page tome about the 27th and 3rd Bomb Groups in 1941 and 1942. It’s got some wonderful stories, amazing photography, profile art—the works, everything you’d expect from our books. Larry was heavily involved in the project up until he fell ill, and Edward Rogers and I carried it over the finish line. I’m really proud of how it turned out.

Beyond that, though…I don’t know. We have all the research and partial manuscripts for the 38th Bomb Group project and the remainder of the 3rd Bomb Group project. I don’t know what’s going to happen to them. I certainly hope we’ll be able to publish them all, but I don’t know how it will go. Unfortunately, it depends on several factors that are either unknown or private, and that’s all I can say about that.

So that’s about the size of things.

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 28th October 2021 at 19:52. Reason: deleted metadata
Old 28th October 2021, 20:08
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the update re the EoE Project, - much appreciated.

Please PM me on here.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 28th October 2021, 23:25
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Madison a clear and understandable statement
Old 29th October 2021, 11:16

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the update on the Eagles Over the Pacific project, I'm looking forward to the next volumes and hope they all will be published.

Tags
eagles over europe, ju 88