Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th October 2023, 11:23

stefaan
D.T.D 308/314

Hi Everybody.

On the charts from the Air Ministry in 1938-1939 the reference to the colour charts are for D.T.D. 308/314.

Having no access or not seen such a D.T.D. note I would like to know why the 308 and 314.*

Is it according to sequence of the specs, or different for another reason like dope vs enamels? Why two numbers on one document.

Does anybody have these D.T.D. documents??

Sitting down here in South Africa we do not have access to those files. If I have a definite file series at Kew I may ask them* to copy them for me.

Thx

Stefaan
Old 29th October 2023, 12:52

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: D.T.D 308/314

Hi Stefaan

I believe these documents are mainly to do with paint specifications so DTD308 was cellulose paint and DTD314 was synthetic paint.

If you post on Britmodeller as well Mr Lucas might come along...

Steve
Old 29th October 2023, 13:09
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Recommend you get hold of a copy of the following publication:

Scale Aircraft Monographs.
Camouflage & Markings No.2 - The Battle for Britain - RAF May to December 1940.
Lucas, Paul (series editor Neil Robinson)
Guideline Publications,2000.
pp.78-9.

Chapter 10 - MATERIALS - 1939 to 1940.

Aircraft Design Memorandum 332, issue 2, dated 8 September 1939, listed five material specifications for top coat camouflage finishes for RAF aircraft . These were Air Ministry Directorate of Technical Development Material Specification DTD 308 Matt Cellulose Finishes and Primer, issued in July 1936; DTD 314 Matt Pigmented Oil Varnishes and Primer, issued in September 1936; DTD 83A Aeroplane Doping Schemes of December 1935; DTD 63A Cellulose Enamels and Primer (For Metals and Timber), issued in April 1939; and DTD 260A Pigmented Oil Varnishes and Primer (For Metals and Timbers) date of issue unknown but reprinted in August 1940.

DTD 308 was the Material Specification for a cellulose based material consisting of a pigmented primer suitable for direct application to metal or timber, and a pigmented cellulose finishing coating primer suitable for application over the primer - suitable for application by brush or spray. The finishing coating was available in two types, one which was suitable for use under normal (temperate climate) atmospheric conditions, and the other which was suitable for use under adverse (tropical climate) conditions. The resulting dry film from such an application should match the standard which was obtainable from the Director of Aeronautical Inspection in mattness, colour, and smoothness of finish.

DTD 314 was the material Specification for a synthetic finishing material which specified that the materials would consist of a pigmented primer suitable for direct application to metal or timber and a pigmented oil varnish suitable for application over the primer by means of brush or spray.

The article goes on to describe specs for DTD 83A, DTD 63A, DTD 260A, DTD 420 and DTD 441, and the use thereof. There is also a Vocabulary of Stores reference 33/B listing specifying colours.

Col.

Last edited by Col Bruggy; 29th October 2023 at 14:13.
Old 29th October 2023, 18:58

stefaan

Thx Col.
This helps a lot.
I eventually found this out of print book.
Will get it in due course.
Stefaan
Old 29th October 2023, 22:28

Buckeye30 is on a distinguished road

Stefaan. I don't think this table is in the book which Col mentioned, it's Issue 2 (Nov. 1943) of Circular 360 with colours for 314 / 308 (and 420B for flying boats). Note that "O" refers to Specs. for overseas, arctic / desert / tropical where extra packing was needed.
"1/2G" etc. is container sizes, in Imperial Gallons. I've got a list of DTD numbers which relate to aircraft FINISHES, if you want to see it you can PM me with your e-mail. Also have lists of all DTD numbers ( numbers 4A to 915A) as recorded in the July 1944 MAP Matreial Specs. but don't know whether I can scan them (5 pages).
Regards
Nick

dtd-numbers by Nicholas King, on Flickr
Old 30th October 2023, 05:56

stefaan

Hi Nick.
I have this list thx, and the different DTD numbers at the top was what I needed to understand. It makes sense now I know. It would have been nice if there were such lists again a bit later when more colours were developed.
I would be gratefull for the DTD numbers around the war and untill about 1961. So from 1930 till 1961 will help.
I will send you my email as a pm.
Thx all.