Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st February 2007, 22:16

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Coastal Command Rocket Liberators...

Here's what,

During the summer/autumn of '43 several Liberators were tested out with rockets mounted on stub-wings on the nose. From my references I've got 224, 120 and 311 Sqn Liberators actually attacking and achieving U-boot kills/damages from July to October. Then nothing.
Did this practise continue or did one stop using R/P as the U-boots stopped lingering on the surface when attacked?
Has anything been written on the conclusion of this what I assume must have been testing only?
Did rocket operations only take place from Cornwall and Northern Ireland or did they use rockets on the 59 and 86 sqn Libs flying out of Scotland towards Norway?

K
Old 3rd February 2007, 00:37

Re: Coastal Command Rocket Liberators...

Okay, I've found out that 311 Sqn used rockets in May '44. Which means one could say the rockets were no longer on trial. Any indication this was carried on through '44 and on to '45?
Edit: Also October 29 (or November 4, depending on source) saw the Liberators Y and H from 311 Sqn attacking a U-boot off the island of Fleina. Pictures on this site http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfiel.../311photo.html shows the actual rockets firing away. Anyone know the serials of the Liberators taking part?
K

Last edited by atckyrre; 3rd February 2007 at 02:17.
Old 3rd February 2007, 14:12

Fairlop

Hi Kyrre,

The 311 Sqn Liberators attacked U-1060, a VIIF variant near Fleina island on 29th October 1944. There were three crews briefed for attack.
BZ723, PP-H ... attacked second, fired 16 rockets and 4 bombs in 4 rounds; 8 hits
FL949, PP-Y ... attacked first, fired 16 rockets and 4 bombs in 6 rounds; 7 hits
BZ720, PP-G ... crashed several minutes after t/o, 5 dead and 4 injured

The squadron successfuly used SAP60s against U-boats and ships from Autumn 1943 till Spring 1945. From bases situated in SW and N parts of Great Britain.

Hope this helps,
Michal
Old 3rd February 2007, 16:11

Well that certainly helps! Just what I needed.
Was that from the ORB or do you have some recommended reading?

One question though: How could they actually fire 16 rockets when they had only 4 on each side? Did they carry a rocket-rack in the bomb bay as well? I've heard of such an arrangement but never saw it mentioned in actual use.
I suspect they stopped using rockets when they converted to Liberator VI's in February '45.

Kyrre
Old 3rd February 2007, 17:15

Fairlop

It is from Combat Report and Coastal Command Review 11/1944. It clearly states "... R.P.s were fired in fours salvoes of fours ...".
According to my sources, there were only eight SAP60s on first versions of GR Vs but stow-away double carriers for 16 pcs were later used in the bomb bay.
Feel free to contact me off board.

Michal
fairlop@quick.cz
Old 4th February 2007, 12:24

cz_raf

Yes, they were using also rocket-rack in the bomb bay. It depends on the concrete plane as there was quite wide variety of modifications... but both planes mentioned on 29.10.44 have rocket installation inside.
If you would like more info contact Michal or me off-board.

Pavel