Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th July 2024, 04:30

oquaig is on a distinguished road
Clarification on how Luftwaffe losse are catgorized

Hi everyone,

Let's say a group of bombers, fully loaded with bombs, is taking off from its home airfield but one of the bombers crashes on take off and the aircraft destroyed. Is this classified as an accident (non combat) loss? Or is it counted as a combat loss while on mission ? Is it classified as a sortie ?

Using the Coventry raid (Nov '41) as an example, I noticed that several aircraft crashed on takeoff or aborted immediately after takeoff. I was wondering how they were counted.

Thanks in advance
oquaig
Old 14th July 2024, 07:21
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Clarification on how Luftwaffe losse are catgorized

I would expect that to be classed as an ‘(F)’ in the casualty reports because the purpose was a Feindflug or flight against the enemy, even if it was not completed.

For numbers of sorties the usual way the Luftwaffe reported was in two parts, e.g.: ‘KG 3: 20 He 111 of which 1 broke off (crash on take-off)’. In the same way the number starting would be given but then they would say how many turned back with technical problems or did not locate the target.
Old 14th July 2024, 23:29
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Just been looking at just this a KG 51 ac which crashed on take off on ops. Mission was F not H. Coventry was 1940 by the way
Old 15th July 2024, 09:13

oquaig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
I would expect that to be classed as an ‘(F)’ in the casualty reports because the purpose was a Feindflug or flight against the enemy, even if it was not completed.

For numbers of sorties the usual way the Luftwaffe reported was in two parts, e.g.: ‘KG 3: 20 He 111 of which 1 broke off (crash on take-off)’. In the same way the number starting would be given but then they would say how many turned back with technical problems or did not locate the target.
Thanks Nick,

I am aware of the (F) and (H) classifications just not certain how they were applied like the Coventry raid where I read '552 crews dispatched but only 449 reach target'. Knowing how it was applied makes it easier to sort them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Coventry was 1940 by the way
I know Chris, I just can't trust my right hand anymore...

Cheers
oquaig