Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th March 2016, 22:30

tricci is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe in the Gargano (italy)

Hi all, great forum, lot's of great information.
My current project (following the 325th FG memorial in Lesina (FG)) is to identify the Luftwaffe Group or Squadron that was located in the area of Lesina. Long story short: in Lesina, when I was a boy, my father would frequently take me farms and other locations nearby where German and American equipment (airplane, trucks, cars, and other artifacts) were left behind, and the locals would use this equipment or butcher parts for their needs.
I would like to close this chapter and put a name to the soldiers/airmen of the Luftwaffe or at least identify the Staffel or Gruppe they belonged to, that so served in the immediate area.
Old 9th March 2016, 00:01
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe in the Gargano (italy)

Hi tricci -

You should be able to find what you are looking for on this website:

http://194.242.233.149/ortdb/ortdb.html

L.
Old 9th March 2016, 09:17

Merlin will become famous soon enoughMerlin will become famous soon enough

The site mentioned by Larry, does contain ground based units of Heer, Luftwaffe and Marine but no flying units.
Old 9th March 2016, 10:52
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

TRICCI, good morning.

Have you been in contact with NICK BEALE, a member of this Fórum? He wrote two detailed books about Aeronautical activities over Italy:
a) AIR WAR ITALY
b) NSG 9 (book which I do have and you can find more about here: http://www.ghostbombers.com/)

He is one of the greatest Historians about the Air War in Italy (alongside with other Italian Historians). Do try to find him via Private Message, I am sure he will help.

Most sincerely yours,
Adriano
Old 9th March 2016, 11:35
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
TRICCI, good morning.

Have you been in contact with NICK BEALE, a member of this Fórum?
Adriano
Unfortunately he knows almost nothing about the period when the Luftwaffe was still in that part of Italy, having concentrated on the time after the Anzio landings. The place in question is near the major complex of airfields around Foggia and any number of different units would have been there in late 1943 - early 1944, especially bomber Gruppen.
Old 9th March 2016, 16:59
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Foggia-Lesina was an Allied-built airfield, hence no Luftwaffe air units were ever based there.

All of the Luftwaffe air units based in Italy with their airfields and dates can be found here:

http://www.ww2.dk/Airfields%20-%20It...20Sardinia.pdf

L.

Last edited by Larry deZeng; 9th March 2016 at 17:06. Reason: add site

Tags
foggia, german, lesina, luftwaffe, staffel