Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st December 2018, 23:14

macmullin is on a distinguished road
F/O Burgess, Charles Lebert - 439 Sqd Log Books

I aquired this Burgess Basic Biography outline from http://www.thisisme.ca/439squadron/RollCall-B.htm

There may be few discrepancies according to his log book. Plus, I added the date of his death which was missing.

'Burgess, F/O Charles Lebert, "Chuck", A/S/L, J21143,. Born April 19, 1920 in Fredericton, New Brunswick; home there. Enlisted in Saint John, New Brunswick, 28 July 1939; commissioned November 1942.

Trained at No.3 ITS (graduated 24 April 1942), No.17 EFTS (graduated 31 July 1942), and No.2 SFTS (graduated 20 November 1942). Pilot, with 123 Squadron circa May 1943 and 439 Sqn to 26 Nov 44, Tour expired. Posted to 56 OTU .

Recommended when he had flown 92 sorties (93 operational hours)*. DFC effective 13 January 1945. Postwar service included No.413 Squadron at Rockcliffe, Ontario (now in Greenwood, NS). Died June 3, 1962 Fredericton, New Brunswick'.

I acquired two flight log books of F/O Charles Lebert Burgess, from his son, Scott Burgess who kindly lent them to me to scan and put into PDF documents. I have plans to create a new painting of one of his three aircraft he flew with 2nd TAF.

I have not yet chosen any of the profiles that are good possibilities. There are many photographs of other pilots and there aircraft. Some, I have never seen before. The funny thing is, he did not take any photographs of his own Typhoon.

*Stated in Burgess, F/O Charles Lebert Log Book Date Nov 18,1944

Total Ops Trips – 107
Hours – 114:05

There is also a third log book that I have not obtained at this time, adds 5 more Ops for a total 112 and 119:45 hours. Moreover, from what I understand by his son, he was never called “Chuck” - but “Burt.”

Anyway, I have a few questions in regard to the aircraft he flew in his log book. By any chance has any one own or seen photographs of the the following aircraft. Does any one know by the serial numbers weather the aircraft had 3 or 4 bladed props?

1. Hawker Typhoon 1B, (MN516), 5V* W Named: "Foogly"
Flown between dates: May 4th – June 22nd 1944

Crashed land on return from sweep after engine fire 4 miles SE Horsham, Sussex 24.5.44 **

This coordinates with Burgess, log book since he had lent His Tiffy to his C/O on this date, who then turned around and crashed it.

2. Hawker Typhoon 1B, (MN665), 5V* W Named: "Foogly" also
Flown between dates: June 3rd – July 31st 1944

Last time Burgess, F/O Charles Lebert flew this aircraft was on July 31,1944

MN665 - 439/440 Shot down by FW190 near Eindhoven 24.12.44 **

3. Hawker Typhoon 1B, (MP135), 5V*P
Flown between dates: June 3rd – July 31st 1944

This aircraft I am a little confused about MP135. Burgess in his log book flew this aircraft till July 31 1944.

But according to sources MP135 was in 438 Sqd., and was shot down by flack attacking a railway near Coesfeld 7.10.44 **

I have one more question in regard to one photograph in his his log books. I have a 439 squadron aircraft 5V*H with "Hep-Cat" on the starboard side of the nose. Would this aircraft's serial number happen to be MN603? The photograph is labled "Bernie's Aircraft"

** Hawker Typhoon The Combat History, By Richard Townshend Bickers
Old 2nd December 2018, 13:06
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: F/O Burgess, Charles Lebert - 439 Sqd Log Books

Hello,

Have you seen this?

http://rcafassociation.ca/heritage/s...umber&type=all

Col.
Old 2nd December 2018, 15:27

Thank you for the link. I had no idea this was available through the RCAF Association website. This will be nice to have this for future reference. The hand written logs books are not easy reading by any means. Operation descriptions and individuals who took part are fairly lengthy. Eventually, I will look closer at their contents. When I find some extra time, I plan to re-copy the logs into plane text.

I am a big fan aviation and it's history. But as an artist, and visual person, I am more concerned and lean towards material history.
Old 2nd December 2018, 19:04

Chris Thomas

Hi. I'm afraid I do not have photos of any of the aircraft you quote , except 5V-H MN603, but this shows the port side and no trace of a name. Do you have any means of dating the photo of 'Hep-cat'?
Any stripes visible? Trees or buildings in the background?

You don't mention whether Burgess recorded serials or codes or both in his log. Most pilots recorded one or the other, regrettably few records both. 439 Sqn's ORB records serials for all operational flights so if he recorded codes you can match the two although there are pitfalls in this as ORBs can be unreliable one these details. For example, of the 15 or so Typhoons lost or seriously damaged on 439 Sqn in July to September 1944, five had an incorrect serial number recorded.

Of the Typhoons you mention, MN516 details are correct. it was written off after its crash-landing on 24 May 44. You say Burgess flew it until 22 June - I assume this is a typo for May.

MN665 details fit with the records OK. It was damaged on 2 August 44 and after repair it may well have gone to 440 Sqn - it was certainly with them on 24 Dec 44 as I8-K when it was shot down.

MP135. Burgess certainly was not flying it from June 3rd as you state (or is that an error as the dates are the same as the aircraft above?) as it was not delivered to the RAF until 18 July. It is then recorded with 438 Sqn on 18 July 44 and was F3-G when lost on 7 Oct 44. 438 Sqn did use MP134 (5V-Z) and MP136 - 5 and 6 can often be mistaken in hand-written logs. Please check the dates too.
CT
Old 3rd December 2018, 00:21

Hi Chris

Hi Chris

I have sent you a e-mail transfer containing the the log books through We Transfer.com. I hope you email has not change since we talked last. You will be able to read the entries yourself and come to some kind of a conclusion. Most of his entries are the letter of the aircraft, but has place serial numbers for three aircraft in his Ops Description. I did make a copy & past mistake (I did not check my work) with MP135 5V-P. Its is Aug 4 – Nov 18th 1944. He mentions his new Typhoon arriving on the Aug 2 1944. He wrote the Serial MP135 then on the Aug 4 he again wrote the serial down again as MP136. I chalked it up as a writing mistake for it looks like his 6 is a sloppy 5. It might be MP136 after all.
Old 3rd December 2018, 04:10
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Perhaps this may help.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=200975

Tags
439 sqd, burgess, charles lebert