Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th May 2006, 15:20

Jay Slater is on a distinguished road
Lancaster Crash

Greetings!

I was wondering if you can help me. A family relative by the name of Dennis Walter O'Dell died when flying in a Lancaster on 08/06/1944 with the 37 Squadron for the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve over Italy. His service number was 1466783. Apparently, an eyewitness stated that he saw the badly damaged Lancaster attempt to crashland but was engaged by an enemy nightfighter and all on board were killed.

Would any of you know how I can find out more on this mission and what serial number the Lancaster was? It would be very much appreciated as my father plan to visit the Foiano Della Chiana War Cemetery in Italy in two weeks to pay his respects.

Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jay Slater
London
Old 10th May 2006, 16:45
Alter Hase

Kutscha
Re: Lancaster Crash

Jay, this link might be of some help, http://www.lostbombers.co.uk/results...ter&pagefrom=1
Old 10th May 2006, 17:24

Henk Welting is on a distinguished road

Hello Jay,
Wellington Mk.X, serial MF196 took off Tortorella (Foggia 2) 22.30h; target was Orvieto (traffic junction). Hit trees on a hill attacking military transport on the road Orvieto - Ficulle. All crew buried same cemetery as O'Dell (they first had a field grave at/near the crash location).
Regards,
Henk.
Old 10th May 2006, 17:44

Jay Slater is on a distinguished road

Guys,

You have been a star - my family very much appreciate it. The farmer who saw the crash and pursuing nightfighter is still with us and I'll try to get his details and post here.

Cheers,

Jay