Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th August 2015, 18:33

noggin is on a distinguished road
Re: Oblt Kurt Dahlmann III/KG 30

Just looking at Kurt Dahlmann wiki entry there is no mention of his demise , is he still alive ? I believe he would be 97 if he is.
Old 17th August 2015, 19:02
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

He survived the war & I was in contact some years ago
Old 17th August 2015, 20:15

Thanks , I see he had a very interesting career after the war.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:59

Just come back from the Newark Library archives , Newark Advertiser mentioned the raid date as 30th Jan 1941 , ARP & police inspectors report to clerk of the council both state 30th Jan 41. Although there is only a one line report mentioning the 2 deaths. There is a full list of when the air raid sirens were sounded and the length of the warning , no sounding on 27th but was sounded 16.00hrs 30th. Hope that helps to muddy the waters. You obviously have plenty of details for Oblt. Rinck being POW 27th Jan 41 but Lt Dahlmann from local reports doesn't seem to be over Newark that day. The attack doesn't seem to have been that successful either 1 bomb fell on the factory , 1 on the embankment to the goods yard the rest strong out across open countryside to the West of the river Devon with the last one stricking the sand quarry between Newark and South Muskham causing the 2 fatalities. Report say all HE with 2 being of a larger caliber

Last edited by noggin; 21st October 2015 at 07:12.
Old 30th October 2015, 16:31

Raid dated 30/1/41 - Newark Advertiser report titled : Daylight Raid on North Midlands Town Two Fatal Casualties When Plane Swooped From Cloud. - After 16 months at war , a North Midlands town suffered its first direct casualties through enemy action on Thursday afternoon when a single Nazi raider swooped through low-laying cloud and dropped several high explosive bombs. The exact number is believed to have been 14 , two of them considerably heavier calibre than the others. As a result Anthony Thompson a 16 year old boy was killed. Working close at hand at the time was Mr J N Saxby. Flying shrapnel inflicted on him wounds from which he later died in hospital.

ARP Report : 12 bombs dropped , 10 landing in fields west of River Devon with little damage. 2 bombs caused damage to factories , shops and houses in the vicinity.

As a side bar to this Joseph Norman Saxby bother was killed in 1940. William : Sapper 2002239 11/7/40 aged 20 Royal Engineers Grave 3188. MELBOURNE CEMETERY Son of Harry and Amy Saxby, foster-son of Charles Edward and Hannah Mary Saxby, of Newark Nottinghamshire. CWWGC On 11 July 1940 nine Royal Engineer Sappers training on the railway in Melbourne were killed by a German bomb dropped on their billet in Church Street, Melbourne Derbyshire. at 8am. Eight of them are buried in Melbourne Cemetery. Single He111 of II./KG53 tasked to bomb a target near Burton on Trent that morning the most probable cause. His older brother was also killed later :
SAXBY, Private, Charles E, 4858673. 1st Bn. Leicestershire Regiment. 31st December 1941. Age 22. Son of Charles Edward and Hannah Mary Saxby, of Farndon Ferry, Nottinghamshire.
Died during Battle of Kampar Malaya.
Old 12th November 2015, 18:08

Iceribbo is on a distinguished road
Can anyone help me with further info on the plane and pilot who dropped the bombs in Melboune, I live in Melboune, grandad remembers it like yesterday, I'd love to tell him more about it. He was 12. It was so low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
Raid dated 30/1/41 - Newark Advertiser report titled : Daylight Raid on North Midlands Town Two Fatal Casualties When Plane Swooped From Cloud. - After 16 months at war , a North Midlands town suffered its first direct casualties through enemy action on Thursday afternoon when a single Nazi raider swooped through low-laying cloud and dropped several high explosive bombs. The exact number is believed to have been 14 , two of them considerably heavier calibre than the others. As a result Anthony Thompson a 16 year old boy was killed. Working close at hand at the time was Mr J N Saxby. Flying shrapnel inflicted on him wounds from which he later died in hospital.

ARP Report : 12 bombs dropped , 10 landing in fields west of River Devon with little damage. 2 bombs caused damage to factories , shops and houses in the vicinity.

As a side bar to this Joseph Norman Saxby bother was killed in 1940. William : Sapper 2002239 11/7/40 aged 20 Royal Engineers Grave 3188. MELBOURNE CEMETERY Son of Harry and Amy Saxby, foster-son of Charles Edward and Hannah Mary Saxby, of Newark Nottinghamshire. CWWGC On 11 July 1940 nine Royal Engineer Sappers training on the railway in Melbourne were killed by a German bomb dropped on their billet in Church Street, Melbourne Derbyshire. at 8am. Eight of them are buried in Melbourne Cemetery. Single He111 of II./KG53 tasked to bomb a target near Burton on Trent that morning the most probable cause. His older brother was also killed later :
SAXBY, Private, Charles E, 4858673. 1st Bn. Leicestershire Regiment. 31st December 1941. Age 22. Son of Charles Edward and Hannah Mary Saxby, of Farndon Ferry, Nottinghamshire.
Died during Battle of Kampar Malaya.
My grandparents don't recall the death of a 16 yo. The date was 11th July 1940. I would love any more in for on this storey
Old 14th December 2015, 16:09
JAMalucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
He survived the war & I was in contact some years ago
Hello, just wondering if you had an address? my grandfather was in the war and came home with a stamp collection book saying he took it from a german pilot. The name in the cover is kurt dalhmann. I wanted to write a letter and see about returning it.