Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th June 2005, 12:29

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Leutnant Albert Vaart, NSGr 11, JG4. Post-war whereabouts?

Hello!

Recently found interesting piece of information in an Estonian newspaper Sakala from June 23rd, 1944. The news is about the 3000th mission of the Estonian "öölahingulennukite üksus" (nightfighting plane unit - Nachtschlacht). BTW A German newspaper had this same news already at June 21st, 1944.

But the Sakala news also adds info the lt "Vaat" (sic, should be Vaart) had the biggest number of missions - alltogether 224.

Soon after that date Vaart went on to become a Jagdflieger. He survived mid-air collision with another Estonian Lembit Raidal (who was killed) in August 30th, 1944. In February 12th, 1945 while in 5./JG4 he had to parachute after airbattle and was wounded.

After that his tracks go cold. Does anyone know Albert Vaart's whereabouts after the war? Majority of the "older" generation Estonian Lw flyers emigrated to US or Australia. Internet searches (people finder) show that there is two A(lbert) Vaart in US. But Vaart is (also) a Dutch surename or what?

In any case it looks like Vaart had an interesting career and he or more likely his relatives might be worth contacting. Can anyone give help in this matter?

Cheers,
Kari
Old 13th June 2005, 14:18

Jaap Woortman is on a distinguished road
Re: Leutnant Albert Vaart, NSGr 11, JG4. Post-war whereabouts?

Interesting thought Kari!

In my research for Dutchmen in the Luftwaffe, about 250 persons, I didn't came across the name 'Vaart'. In the Netherlands the name 'van der Vaart' is more common. A quick scan of the Dutch telephone directory shows 1256 times 'van der Vaart' and 1(one) Vaart and believe it or not it is an A.Vaart.
The telephone directory of German gave me 5x van der Vaart and 1(one) Vaart.

What I found during this research is that many people in the Luftwaffe with Dutch sounded names came from the Dutch-German border area.
But if no one else can give more information about the background of Lt. Albert Vaart it is always worthwhile to check the background of the mentioned person.
Is it a good idea that you contact me off board for tuning further actions?

Jaap
Old 13th June 2005, 15:13

Hello!

Of the surename Vaart.

Lt. Albert Vaart was Estonian, but the origins of the surename quite probably are in (1500-1600's) Dutch. I don't think he had any Dutch relatives. This is what I meant and wondered if the name Vaart is common or rare in general. I do not think Vaart would have settled at Netherlands. That wouldn't have been the place of choice for a volunteer of German military.

Thanks for posting though,
Kari
Old 14th June 2005, 21:22

Just heard from another veteran.

Latest info about Vaart is that he might still be living in USA. No contact info though.

Kari