Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd April 2017, 13:25

Archaeologist is on a distinguished road
Looking for information on German late-war improvised airstrips

Hello!

I'm looking for information on German late-war improvised airstrips. How long were these strips, and how did they operate? I have indications that there was a very small airstrip in the area I am currently researching. On aerial photographs you can see some sort of runway being under construction, consisting of the strip itself, a circular cleared area around it (it's in the forest) and a sort of white arrow lying on the ground. The strip itself is very short though, about 400x22 meters. After the war people found 2cm and 13mm ammunition on the site, as well as German smoke canisters (Landungsrauchzeichen) and flare casings. Does anyone have good sources on this topic? I can't seem to find any online. As it could also be a target for strafing exercises I am also looking for information on this topic.

Thanks in advance!

Archaeologist
Old 24th April 2017, 01:40
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for information on German late-war improvised airstrips

There was not much to improvise. Usually, aircraft were hidden just behind the tree line, and as long as the ground was reasonably level and hard, this was common. Aircraft out in the open were covered by camouflage netting and/or tree branches. The rapidly changing war situation meant that most of these airstrips were temporary. I read a report that Me-262s were using the autobahn to land and take-off and then hidden among the trees. They also used a long section of interconnected planks of wood so that if it rained, aircraft could still be moved from their hiding place. There was no longer time to build a standard airstrip which could be easily spotted from the air.

Ed
Old 24th April 2017, 11:50

Thanks for your reply Ed! I assume that the vegetation etcetera was cleared at those landingstrips? The airstrip that I probably 'found' consists of a rather hard and level strip of cleared forest of about 400x22 meters. At the end of this strip there is a small dugout of some sort. I was wondering if the 400 meter long strip was long enough to land a plane on (and which aircraft)? I'm also very interested in aerial photographs of these kind of airstrips, so I can compare the structures with mine.
Old 24th April 2017, 14:29
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeologist View Post
I was wondering if the 400 meter long strip was long enough to land a plane on (and which aircraft)?
Perhaps a Fieseler Storch?
Old 24th April 2017, 18:54

Well, since the ammunition that was found on site consisted of 13mm and 2cm MG FF cartridges and grenades I doubt that. I still have a second option for the site: practice target for strafing. But would aircrews have used Landungsrauchzeichen for practice?
Old 24th April 2017, 22:06
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

You're welcome. I think you should abandon the idea of airstrips. These temporary areas were located near grassy fields and cover. As far as vegetation, the idea was to give no indication that there was anything aerial recon could identify as an "airstrip." Sure, they might remove some rocks or fill in holes but that was it.

Do the photos you have have any numbers, letters, location name or date? I'm curious to know how you came up with your measurement. Sometimes, I would see a scale but it would be in miles or kilometers. Based on the information you've provided, and without knowing the location, I'm going to make a guess. This type of construction seems closer to a V-1 launch site, down to the dugout. The launch ramp has not yet been built, but that would be camouflaged by one or more sections of camouflage netting.

The Germans were very good at hiding things. But, I have never seen an airstrip marked. It was usually, weapons factory, bridge, crossroads, troop concentrations, ammo dump and so on. Sure, airfields were bombed/cratered but the Germans were very good at repairing the damage quickly. They were unmistakable in aerial recon photos. But the rapidly changing war situation made these improvised airstrips the only viable option. And most were usually temporary.

Ed
Old 25th April 2017, 00:08

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road

It would sure help if you told us in which part of the world that the 'landing strip' was found.