Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th September 2009, 00:47

kennethklee
Fw 190D book

I am looking for a reasonably comprehensive book on the Focke Wulf Fw 190D-series, including the lesser-known variants such as the Fw 190D-11/12/13. During my search for Peter Rodeike's Fw 190 book, which has been difficult to find, I found an attractive substitute:

Focke-Wulf FW 190 Long Nose: An Illustrated History of the FW 190 D Series by Dietmar Harmann

Any opinions on this book? Thanks for any input.

Kenneth
Old 6th September 2009, 07:38
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fw 190D book

I never hear for book by Dietmar Harmann so I am also wonder to hear about it.

Cheers
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 6th September 2009, 08:21

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road

Hello,
You can find comments in this LEMB Thread regarding this book:
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...showtopic=4381

Br/Goran
Old 6th September 2009, 23:01

kennethklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by F19Gladiator View Post
Hello,
You can find comments in this LEMB Thread regarding this book:
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/fo...showtopic=4381

Br/Goran
Thanks much, the LE thread provides the information I am seeking.

K
Old 8th September 2009, 17:20

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road

Glad it was of help to you!
Br/Goran
Old 8th September 2009, 22:32

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

My humble opinion:

I have the book and cannot rave about it, but for long-nose aficionados, it is good to have. It is a decent reference book and contains photographs I had not seen before. The text always doesn't flow well although maybe some of that is in translation.

A very fine read if you are looking for long nose action is 'Bodenplatte' book by Manhro and Putz.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:44

kennethklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kambic View Post
My humble opinion:

I have the book and cannot rave about it, but for long-nose aficionados, it is good to have. It is a decent reference book and contains photographs I had not seen before. The text always doesn't flow well although maybe some of that is in translation.

A very fine read if you are looking for long nose action is 'Bodenplatte' book by Manhro and Putz.
Thanks for the book evaluation and the Bodenplatte recommendation. Your evaluation is similar to the analyses on the LEMB thread (posted by FB19Gladiator) about the book--decent-to-good, but not enthusiastic. Hence, I'll probably wait and consider for a while if the Harmann book is worth obtaining versus waiting for Jerry Crandall's second volume of Focke Wulf Fw 190 'Dora' instead. The Bodenplatte book seems to be very highly regarded and I'll seriously consider purchasing it.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:18

kennethklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kambic View Post
My humble opinion:

I wanted to provide some interesting follow-up. Based on your suggestion, I went to the Amazon store website to order Bodenplatte by John Manrho and Ron Putz. When I placed the order, a message appeared that I had already purchased the book six months ago! Obviously I did not recall ordering it, but when I looked through my books, I found a pristine copy of Bodenplatte. I must have had a brain cramp when I ordered and received the book! BTW, you are right--Bodenplatte is a great read. It is a nicely detailed account of the Luftwaffe's death gasp, with much emphasis on the individual participants' experience.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:12
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Apples and oranges. The Harmann book(s) are perhaps not excellent, but very good books, however they do not pack the same (if at all) level of operational material.

OTOH I prefer the two to be seperate to begin with (detailed technical or design vs operational histories). The two can be combined, but seldom present both sides on the same level.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 11th September 2009, 08:41

kennethklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruy Horta View Post
Apples and oranges. The Harmann book(s) are perhaps not excellent, but very good books, however they do not pack the same (if at all) level of operational material.

OTOH I prefer the two to be seperate to begin with (detailed technical or design vs operational histories). The two can be combined, but seldom present both sides on the same level.
Thanks for the advice. Although the Manrho Bodenplatte book has few technical details of the Fw 190D-9, it has many good photos of the warplane, both intact and in various degrees of damage and wreckage. Interestingly, on first read, Bodenplatte doesn't seem have much operational narrative of the Dora. Green Hearts First in Combat with the Dora 9 by Axel Urbanke has many more operational details of the Fw 190D-9 in combat than Bodenplatte.