Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th July 2023, 14:17

clapos is on a distinguished road
Re: He-219 ”Uhu”s found at the end of the war

The elevator was found together with parts from other aircraft, I still remember a Bf 109 radiator, part of a Ju 87 bomb rack and other smaller parts (which didn't bear any numbers), but sadly nothing else from a Heinkel. I suspect they dug up a bomb crater or ditch which had been used to dispose left over parts after the war ended.

What might be of interest though is that the elevator was definitely cleanly disassembled from the aircraft. It was removed according to the manual and the link to horizontal stabilizer was also unscrewed and is thus missing. So the elevator was likely removed at Ludwigslust after getting damaged, this would match with the presence of shrapnell damage in the elevators skin.

But I'm quite certain that more parts are going to be found as the former Fliegerhorst in Ludwigslust is getting more and more transformed into an industrial site. There is also loads of soviet and modern trash still lying around, surely there is some pre1945-stuff hidden in those scrap piles as well. Then there are also the metal detecting people who seem to selectively search for aircraft parts at abandoned/former airfields in Mecklenburg, atleast in Schwerin-Görries and Hagenow (with He 219 parts being found in Hagenow as well). So I guess it's just a matter of time...
Old 27th July 2023, 05:07

ErikTF is on a distinguished road

Is anyone familiar with a He 219 190183 or 310183? I believe it to have gone down near Hagenow/Mecklenburg
Old 20th August 2023, 13:54

clapos is on a distinguished road

Well, as it seems that the answer I tried to post a few weeks ago wasn't succesfully reviewed and thus wasn't posted, I'll try again:

As far as I'm concerned, "my" elevator was the only He 219 part found in that dig. The guy I bought it from had some other aircraft parts from the same dig, I remember a Bf 109 wing radiator, part of a Ju 87 bomb carrier, some kind of MG mount and some smaller parts, which I couldn't identify. My guess is that they dug up something like a ditch or bomb crater, which was used to dispose of aircraft junk after the hostilities seized.

But what might be of interest is the fact that the elevator was cleanly disassembled from the airframe in accordance with the manual. Even the link to the horizontal stabilizer was removed completely. The elevator shows some serious shrapnell damage, maybe that is the cause for it.

Cheers
Claas