Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st November 2009, 02:25

chuckschmitz is on a distinguished road
Help to Identify a JU-87

Looking for some help in putting a unit to the JU-87 that is attached. I believe it is a school unit. The date on the backis 8.10.39. Usually I don't do too bad with written German but the old style script is beyond me.

Last edited by chuckschmitz; 31st December 2009 at 02:43.
Old 1st November 2009, 05:30

Doug Stankey is on a distinguished road
Re: Help to Identify a JU-87

Looking at the known units for an aircraft with this incomplete code we see:

S17+A__ - unit: FAR 14 according to Jet &Prop 02-03 p. 30 and Carlsen &Meyer Vol. 1 p. 173
S17+B__ - unit: FAR 24 according to Jet & Prop 02-03 p. 30
S17+B__ - unit: “Parndorf”according to Carlsen & Meyer Vol.1 p. 203
S17+C__ - unit: FFS C Zeltweg according to Carlsen & Meyer Vol.1 p. 203
S17+D__ - unit: FFS C Wiener Neustadt according to Carlsen & Meyer Vol.1 p. 203
S17+F__ - unit: FFS C Zeltweg according to Carlsen & Meyer Vol.1 p. 203
S17+M__ – unit: LNS 2 according to Carlsen & Meyer Vol.1 p. 456, 459 and Jet ‘& Prop 02-03 p. 30

None of these would seem to fit the use of a Ju 87A except perhaps for “Parndorf”, which unfortunstely does not connect with any appropriate unit.

Perhaps someone else out there and supply the missing pieces of the puzzle.

DGS
Old 1st November 2009, 11:39

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

Hi chuck,
the location next to the date is Klagenfurt, so I assume the photo was taken there. Don't have the time to check the rest of the text, though. I will try to do it later.

Cheers,
Christian
Old 1st November 2009, 18:21

Thanks for the info.
Old 1st November 2009, 19:25

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianK View Post
Hi chuck,
the location next to the date is Klagenfurt, so I assume the photo was taken there.
The rest of the text: "Nachdem Feierabend stehend in Ruhestellung unsere Sturzkampf Bomber ..." ("After work standing in neutral position our dive bombers ...").

Regarding the location I have to disagree - the fourth letter before the end of the word is clear an "d" and the last letter an "f" because I'd say it's "... dorf" (the letter "u" is to exclude because over the "u" was to write an little bow or circle like on the "u" on "Ruhestellung" - so the location can't be "Klagenfurt"). Regarding the first letter I'm not sure ... there was an Klagendorf near Lyck in East Prussia but ...

Best wishes
Rasmussen
Old 1st November 2009, 21:39
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

At the end there no furt, so pls take the bridge, but a dorf, it is what we could see , but if really the last word is Bomber, we could imagine everything

Remi..
Old 1st November 2009, 23:12

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road

Hello...

I'm with Rasmussen on this one. I think the placename is definitely Klagendorf. The 'K' and 'g' seem to be more stylised renditions, as they do not conform to standard Sütterlin script, although I am well aware of there being many, many variations. Given the list of possible locations provided by Doug, not sure it is East Prussia, though. More likely somewhere in Austria, I think.

The only slight problem I have with Rasmussen's offering is that the same (presumed) letter 'g' appears in the middle of the word identified as 'bomber', so not sure about that particular word being accurate; I don't imagine that this letter can both represent a 'b' and 'g' at one and the same time. Other than that, the interpretation and translation seem accurate to me.

As a slight aside, anyone like myself who is in any way interested in German script who would like some assitance, this site
www.suetterlinschrift.de is extremely helpful in determining what old script letters should look like, as well as highlighting the many variations (and providing excercises, should you wish to try you skills) and will probably give you at least a better basis from which to approach future similar questions in future.

Regards...

Paul
Old 1st November 2009, 23:53

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Indeed the letter looks like an "g" but what about an spelling mistake --- have a look on a German speaking forum and you have more than enough of such mistakes ( not alone from "fast fingers" and young persons ...)

Another idea: during research in google I've found an interesting point --- often was named Klagenfurt am Wörther See as "Klagendorf am Wörther Teich" as joke. Maybe the photograph came from Austria and he did the same?

Best wishes
Rasmussen
Old 2nd November 2009, 02:01

Again thanks for all the info.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:34

Joschi is on a distinguished road

hi

i´m from germany, and we look with the old language and me mother/father, both born 1932 and 1934.

both mean, it was CLAGENDORF

it was possible that it was with the C and today you write it with the K!!!!

regards Joschi