Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th October 2014, 11:18
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Useful website for Luftwaffe losses in the East

Hello, some days ago I replied to a thread by pointing on a page of the website http://www.airwar.ru/history/av2ww/a.../luftloss.html.

Stig asked me by PM some explanations, and I will give them here rather than by PM so everybody can use them.

This website provides Luftwaffe loss lists on the Eastern Front (but excluding Luftflotte 5 in the far north) for the following time periods:
_ 1 August to 31 October 1941
_ 1 December 1941 to 31 March 1942
_ 1 October to 30 November 1942
_ 1 April to 30 June 1943
_ 1 to 31 October 1943

The available data in these lists are (first russian column, then my translation):
No. = order number in the loss list for a given day
Место = location (as given in German documents, sometimes corrected with other sources)
Часть = unit
Тип = aircraft type
Зав. (борт.) номер = WNr (serial number)
% = damage percentage
Причина = loss cause
Судьба экипажа = fate of crew ( + 1: 1 killed, = 2 : 2 wounded, б/в 3 : 3 missing)
Флот = Luftflotte (1, 2, 4, H = Heer, units attached to the Army (tactical recon), L = Luftwaffe High Command (strategic recon), S = ?)

Crew names are not listed.

Corrections were frequent in the Luftwaffe loss lists: I don't know if they are included there.

Some entries have a number written in bold: at the end of the webpage, extra data will be available for these entries, usually a link to a Soviet claim (mainly by taran) or data coming the KG 27 book.

For the time being, everytime I searched a German loss on the Eastern Front, I could confirm what I found on this website with other sources.

On the same website, starting from the page http://www.airwar.ru/history/av2ww/axis/axis.html, you will find:
_ lists of German aircraft hit on the ground between 1 October 1941 and 31 December 1943
_ Bf 110 losses for 1941 (with crew names and fate)
_ Fw 189 losses for 1941 (with crew names and fate)
_ Ju 87 losses for 1941 (with crew names and fate)
_ Ju 86 losses for 1941-1943 (with crew names and fate)
_ "long-range recon" losses for 1941-1943, including Wekusta losses (with crew names, fates, target) http://www.airwar.ru/history/av2ww/a...luftloss1.html
_ Hs 126 losses for 1941 (with crew names and fate)
_ Luftwaffe losses during the battle of Sebastopol 1941-1942 (without crew names) http://www.airwar.ru/history/av2ww/a...evastopol.html
_ Luftwaffe losses during the battle of Kertch 1942 (without crew names) http://www.airwar.ru/history/av2ww/a...2/kerch42.html
_ KG 1 losses for 1941 and 1942 (with crew names and fate)
_ JG 52 losses for July and Angust 1943 (with crew names and fate)
Old 6th October 2014, 13:08
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Useful website for Luftwaffe losses in the East

Thanks Laurent

I was unable to find those two pages you just show us below.

The amazing thing is that my computer was unable to translate the Russian text on the initial pages you showed us, but NOW, starting from these two points, it translates the pages so quick I hardly see the original text!!!

Me? I just shake my head...

Thanks again
Cheers
Stig
Old 7th October 2014, 00:38

Pesel## is on a distinguished road
Re: Useful website for Luftwaffe losses in the East

Very nice find Laurent, a lot of valuable data.
Thank you!