Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 22nd May 2018, 19:43

Bookman is on a distinguished road
Multiple badge holders

In decades of collecting, I've had some unusual mystery cleared up. Some friends who were LW veterans possessed several badges, all earned sequentially. One fellow presented me with three. He was first with a flak unit, then an infantry unit, and finally completed flight school. Another, an early war pilot, wounded and then sent to the HG division, had the LW tank badge. A third had the radio man badge, prewar, then pilot badge (Graf was his instructor for a short while, and friendship lasted until his passing), lastly the "flieger erinnerung badge" after serious wounds rendered him unable to fly. That badge was late war, and had an additional protective coat of gilt paint. Most of the award certificates were lost, but their authenticity unquestioned. Their (current) finishes range from brilliant to worn. Lastly, another pilot had two badges, the pilot and the combined pilot/observer. He wore only the former as the latter had the unflattering nickname " wieder/noch" (neither/nor). Accepted to a fighter unit, he wanted (and did) fit in well.
Old 22nd May 2018, 21:20

Tim O. is on a distinguished road
Re: Multiple badge holders

It would be interesting if you have verified evidence of the Luftwaffe Panzer Award Badge being presented during the war. Examples of this badge are thought by most collectors to be of post-war production.

Looking for any information or documents relating to:
Alfred Schmittka 5./KG 54; Josef Harmeling 4.(Schlacht)/LG 2; Wilhelm Gaul 1./106, 2./906 & III./KG 40; Karl Müller I./KG 2; Werner Breese 5.(F)/122
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:42
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I can understand the skepticism. Perhaps this will help:

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/war..._luftwaffe.htm
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:00

Best I can say is the old fellow showed me his decorations in a squadron reunion in 1982. His son retained it, while I was gifted with a frontflugspange fuer jaeger. I've of course seen good and poor reproductions since. None however match the one true original he had shown me.
Old 23rd May 2018, 00:10

Sympathy for the tricked folks who have purchased 'fakes' in good faith. My first was 1970! Find it difficult to see Frontflugspange(n) with High numbered pendants. Example is a night fighter one with 1200 for sale twice in the last decade. Highest actual I've seen was '900' from a Stuka pilot. He was a wee bit shy of 1000, but said he stayed just shy of dying!