Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th February 2018, 23:15

Simon Schatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Should the story about Do335 W.Nr. 240113 get rewritten?

Hi folks!

I want to start a new discussion about the Do 335 W.Nr. 240113. During checking all my books and magazines for photographs of the Do335 I found a very intersting one.
In Jerry Crandall's Wings of the Black Cross Number Two published in 2004 there is a photograph showing the 240113 in damaged condition at Bindlach. At the right wing there is a „small“ detail that doesn't fit to the known history that this one was a Do335A-1. At the right wing you can see the canopy of the second cockpit.

So it seems the plane was in real rebuilt to a double seater Do335A-11 and made the crash as double seater and not as single seater.

Would be interesting to know what you think about that.

Cheers, Simon

Attached is the first preview of the Do335 2410113 as double seater in profile. Please apologize the watermarks. Many parts of the drawing are spekulativ. It's not know if it had MG fitted and if it had a REVI. As 240112 and 240114 had RLM 02 painted oil coolers I decided to show them the same way. Lower sides were unpainted same as the other series double seaters.
Old 20th February 2018, 00:44
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: Should the story about Do335 W.Nr. 240113 get rewritten?

Hello,
From the now ancient "War Prizes".
Do335A-12 WNr240112 which became AM223 was a two seat a/c, so it would follow that the next on line would also have been a two seat a/c ?
Do335A-1 WNr 240121 which became AM225 was also a two seat a/c.
Alex
Old 20th February 2018, 03:26
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Original answer material about Do 335 is edited away by me: Reason is that Simon Schatz did many of the profiles in the botched Medcalf book (Classic No. 23) on the Ju 88 (see Book revue section of this blog)
and post abowe appears be self promotion of his profiles. There is no revelation to state this plane was two seater. #112 and #114 were. Simple.

My opinon on these profiles (here and in book) follows.
"You should perhaps reconsider some of of the excessive "glare" shading on your drawings, specially fins.
If that whould be real airfoil, these were not so thick on leading edge. And wrong in my opinion. And under scoop also looks have
some excessive (*solid*) white. Similarily under fuselage seems solid black, but yet much lighter shading under wings.
Do not blame unpainted for this. In my mind a shadow is a collection of transparent grays (not solid blacks). Think about it."

This opinion of mine also extends to some of the "modern" profiles, such as often presented in UK monthlys.
Some are really horrible in using black for shading.

Last edited by edNorth; 20th February 2018 at 05:23. Reason: Answer content changed.
Old 20th February 2018, 03:51

Maciej Góralczyk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
Why not just look at this photo NASM (Signal Corps image)
https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/def...SM-7A20812.jpg
Because this photo does not show the detail mentioned by Simon. The photo in WOBC #2 indeed shows the canopy of the second cockpit lying at the right wing. Good spot Simon!
Old 20th February 2018, 08:37

Dear Ed!
Thank you for your “qualified” answer. I noted one small detail in a photograph published in 2004 and asked myself if someone else ever noticed it as well? To get such answers from you get me headache. I have no idea what my discovery I share here has to do with my drawings that got printed in the Classic book series and the authors they cooperate? I really don’t understand why you have edited and removed your answer and link? Were we ever in contact and had a problem? NO
If you have a problem with the mentioned Ju 88 author and all the guys who ever cooperated with him, so with me, why do you answer my post, and also mention that you have a problem? Again I get headache.

BTW: I know the removed photograph and all the others ever published photographs of 240113 quite well. Just on one of them the second canopy frame is visible - in the mentioned publication by Jerry Crandall.

Thank you also for the bad write-up about my profiles. I’m a hobby artist, who has no university degree in design and graphics. I just like to draw planes. You don’t have to like my drawings, but there are a lot of guys around the globe who do. (just take the time to check my book list, and you will notice some well known publishing houses and authors).

I really don’t have to self promote my work. I’m happy with the things I have to do and next to Luftwaffe stuff there is a normal life. That is much more important as spending time to write such answers.

Regards, Simon

@Maciej, you are welcome!
Old 20th February 2018, 09:18
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Hello Simon,

I can confirm that it was a two-seater (based on US intelligence documents).

Your profiles are great by the way!

Cheers Roger

Old 20th February 2018, 10:12

Thank you Roger for the confirmation and the kind words! Are there any notes in the Report that the plane had MG's and a REVI?
Cheers, Simon
Old 20th February 2018, 21:04

Micke D

Claes Sundins take on this plane:
"White 113, W.N.r. 240113 Flown by Karl-Heinz Appel, Germany, Spring of 1945

This Do 335 with its black painted underside was attributed to Major Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer, and was said to be crashed by him after a test flight. However according to Schnaufers logbook he flew the Do 335 on two occasions, on the 24 February and again on the 25 February 1945. On both flights Schnaufer took off and landed in Gütersloh for short duration test flights, flying a two-seater, the Dornier Do 335 A-10 subtype.
In fact this machine was flown by Karl-Heinz Appel when it was damaged in a collision with a Bf 109. It was later captured by US troops at Bindlach jacked up in a hangar while undergoing repairs."

http://luftwaffeinprofile.se/Do%20335%20Appel.html
Old 20th February 2018, 21:27
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Schatz View Post
In Jerry Crandall's Wings of the Black Cross Number Two published in 2004 there is a photograph showing the 240113 in damaged condition at Bindlach. At the right wing there is a „small“ detail that doesn't fit to the known history that this one was a Do335A-1. At the right wing you can see the canopy of the second cockpit.
Cheers, Simon
Is it possible to see this photo you are referring too?
Old 21st February 2018, 00:47

Micke D, I saw the profile by Claes Sundin, and this was one reason to publish my observation here. The text at his website has errors, (Schnaufer flew the Do 335 M10 and not "A-10 subtype"), and also the black lower sides are wrong. If you studdy camouflage of the double seaters (240111, 112, 113, 114) you will notice that they had all unpainted lower sides. The colour of the upper sides was painted further down as you can see on the A-0 series planes. At the rear fuselage also the air intake for the cooler was painted. So it gaves the impression that the lower sides were black, but they weren't.

Revi16, sorry but I will not publish the copyrighted photograph here. You will find it in Wings of the Black Cross, Number Two by Jerry Crandall, page 25.