Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 30th June 2005, 22:07

David Pausey is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 300 book

Hello

Do these book cover any combats with RAF fighters ?

cheers

David
Old 5th July 2005, 19:45

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Larivière jacket image
Old 6th July 2005, 23:31
In Memoriam

Eric Larger

Hello

One more time congratulations to you Jean-Marc & Richard, for this stunning book.

More than a very serious and detailed study on this unit, this publication is a real duty of remembrance for these young pilots send into the “Big Circus” often just able to take off and land down. The story of some of them is just incredible or on the other hand so simple.

The iconography, with a lot of unpublished pictures, is highlighting the value of the text.

So for those ready to count the number of new photos or compare such or such version, to criticized eventually such or such point , I would just point out the workload , the time spent , the sacrifices done , the time involved in such a project .

The book is worthwhile for itself, because Jean-Yves succeeded to record and collect the souvenirs of those old men now and to gain their confidence.

How many of these former pilots of the Luftwaffe, even if some of them paid a high price 60 years ago, had their photos or personal documents stolen by so-called “Historians”?

I think, regarding the pages of the English draft I read and the hours spend to talk about it with both of you, that one of the greatest purpose achieved is that these men where not just “pilots of Me109G-6/As W.Nr xxxxxx, 9./JG300, shot down on 23 October 1944 , over Berlin at 09:15 by P-57 of 357th FG ” , but young men involved in the biggest European Aerial Battle , with the same reactions or jokes , hopes and fears the Allied pilots had on the other side of the Channel . They were just young pilots “on the other side “who had to do what they had to do because there was no other choice for them.

Et puis c’est un français qui l’a écrit ! On n’a pas les jeux olympiques mais on a l’histoire du JG300 !

So nothing else to add except buy it and read it. You will then notice the real value of this book.

Eric Larger
Old 8th July 2005, 19:03

Bernard Perconte is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: JG 300 book

Hello,

I received yesterday my French specimen of this excellent book. I am in total agreement with the remarks of my friend Eric Larger who knew to find the words right to qualify this book. Only small flat, the modeler that I am would have liked a little more profiles colors and of a little higher size. This book is read like a novel and constitutes a beautiful homage to the forgotten pilots of the history.

Highly the exit of volume 2.

Impassioned of Luftwaffe : modelers, historians, researchers… keep a little money to acquire the brilliant book (on Fw 190 D-9) of the too modest Eric Larger who soon will leave to Japo.

Cordially

Bernard Perconte
Old 8th July 2005, 22:18

jad

Bernard i want to spend my money in jg300 book from Eagle and 190d from Japo but they don´t want

I can not wait for his publication.
Old 15th July 2005, 20:27

Dick Powers
Shipping Date?

Eagle Editions web page mentions that "JG 300" will be released at the IPMS Nationals, which I beleive is next week. Is this still true? WHen will copies be mailed to those of us who ordered it?

Should I grab a frosty six-pack of my favorite brew and camp out near the mailbox?

JUdy..Jerry...are you out there????
Old 19th July 2005, 03:21

CharlesMetz

For whatever it may be worth, here's my initial impression of Eagle Editions' version of the new book on JG 300 by Jean-Yves Lorant and Richard Goyat, which will be released later this week at the IPMS/USA National Convention. Essentially the same review will appear on Hyperscale as soon as Brett Green, that website's editor, is able to upload it there.

Charles Metz

-------------

Jagdgeschwader 300: A Chronicle of a Fighter Geschwader in the Battle for Germany — Volume One: June 1943 – September 1944, by Jean-Yves Lorant & Richard Goyat; translated by Neil Page; illustrated by Tom Tullis and Richard Goyat

Publisher: Eagle Editions, Ltd.

ISBN: 0-9761034-0-0 (standard edition); 0-9761034-1-9 (limited edition)

Media and contents: Hard cover with sturdy dust jacket; four hundred 8.5" x 11" (21.6 cm x 27.9 cm) pages printed on heavy glossy paper; approximately four hundred photographs, most previously unpublished; twenty-six color profile paintings.

Price: US$75.00 (standard edition); US$165.00 (leather-bound and autographed limited edition)

Review type: First Read

Advantages: Simultaneously provides historical perspective, day-to-day descriptions of unit engagements, moving personal accounts by pilots, and detailed coverage of aircraft subtypes, camouflage and markings. Many photo captions include comments on camouflage and markings. Very well written, translated and produced.

Disadvantages: None

Recommendation: Highly recommended for Luftwaffe modelers, aviation historians, and casual readers interested in World War II.

Reviewed by Charles Metz

Impressions:

JG 300 was a highly unusual Luftwaffe unit that pioneered the use of single-seat aircraft in night fighting, served subsequently for nine months as a front-line nightfighter Geschwader, and then converted quickly to dayfighting, playing a major role in Reich Defense during the final year of World War II. Its Messerschmitt 109 and Focke Wulf 190 aircraft wore a great variety of camouflage and markings that make them exceptionally attractive subjects for modelers. This Geschwader’s complex story obviously provides fertile ground for a book of potential interest to a broad audience. However, it also complicates an aspiring author’s task, not only because of the breadth of material to be covered, but also because the different expectations of modelers, historians and casual readers provide so much opportunity for disappointing at least one of these constituencies. Fortunately for all of us, Jean-Yves Lorant and Richard Goyat have met the challenge wonderfully well.

This superbly translated and produced 400-page volume is only the first half of an effort that may be expected to endure both as the definitive account of Jagdgeschwader 300 and as a benchmark for future Luftwaffe unit histories. (Volume Two is scheduled for release before the end of the year.) However, this book will be not only respected, but also loved, because it is an eminently readable — often downright exciting — work that manages simultaneously to provide historical perspective, day-to-day descriptions of unit engagements, moving personal accounts by pilots, and detailed coverage of aircraft subtypes, camouflage and markings. Its approximately four hundred photographs are well reproduced, though the image quality of a few is necessarily limited by that of the original prints or negatives. Most of these photos have not been published previously, and all are exceptionally well captioned, often with carefully-considered comments on camouflage and markings.

The book is comprised of ten chapters that begin with a brief overview of nightfighting in the early phases of WW II, proceed through the foundation of Geschwader Hermann and its transformation into JG 300, and end four months after the unit’s conversion to the dayfighter role in May of 1944. The text and photos are complemented by an intriguing Introduction on the Luftwaffe’s criteria for acceptance of victory claims, numerous footnotes — more than a hundred in Chapter Ten alone! — that provide helpful detail without detracting from the flow of the narrative, twenty-six color profiles by Tom Tullis, two fly-leaf paintings by co-author Richard Goyat, seven appendices, and a detailed eight-page index. All of the color profiles are documented by photographs, and some of the camouflage and marking schemes that they portray are both surprising and spectacular. Eagle Editions is releasing decals for approximately half of these aircraft, the profiles of which can be seen at http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal88.htm , http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal89.htm and http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal90.htm .

Conclusions:

A marvelously successful example of multi-tasking, this book is highly recommended for Luftwaffe modelers, aviation historians, and casual readers interested in World War II.

Review copyright © 2005 by Charles Metz
Old 19th July 2005, 04:46

Erich
Thumbs up Re: JG 300 book

and I think we can give a big Thank-you to Falkeeins for translating both volumes ............

thumbs up Neil !

E ♪
Old 26th July 2005, 21:56

Tim Rossiter is on a distinguished road

Has anyone received word on when our pre-ordered copies of this book will be shipped? I called Patty at Eagle Editions repeatedly today and just got a full voice mail recording. Last word I got from her was that the book would arrive mid-July...
Old 26th July 2005, 22:04

jad

I had preorder this book too and no info yet. About your phones, they have been attend Nats Expo in Atlanta these days.