Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th July 2007, 02:42
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Need photo ID for 4./KG76 Coded a/c with 3./KG76 insignia 1940

Hello,

I'm trying to identify a series of photos of an aircraft crash-landed in a farm field. It carried the code F1+FM for 4./KG76, but both sides of the nose had the Staffel insignia of 3./KG76. This England map insignia suggests that this may have been photographed during the Battle of Britain. Two different photos indicate that this was taken in France, and one specifically mentions the Dunkirk area. In one of the photos, a prominent church steeple can be seen perhaps half a kilometer in the background, indicating it was fairly near a village or small town, and the engines and rear fuselage were severed from the nose and wings. This aircraft apparently sat out in the elements many months before it was eventually salvaged.

Can anyone put a date, place and/or crew for this incident? Theoretically, it could be assigned to either 3. or 4. Staffel, but I would suspect that the unit codes would prevail over a Staffel insignia.

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,
Old 20th July 2007, 02:44
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Need photo ID for 4./KG76 Coded a/c with 3./KG76 insignia 1940

Hi,

I forgot to mention that this was a Do17Z.

Thanx,
Old 20th July 2007, 11:23

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

This has dropped out of the Battle of France work for 1 June 1940. But no record of your other query on the F1+HK in the same material I’m afraid – so that could be a later casualty but I’ve no time to check my BoB records right now.

4./KG76 Dornier Do17Z. Badly damaged by fighters while bombing shipping off Dunkirk and crashed within own lines. Possibly one of those claimed by F/L Webster of No. 41 Squadron 10.45 a.m. Uffz H. Fortmüller and Uffz J. Wörlein killed. Oberlt E. Moll and Fw E. Mössner wounded. Aircraft F1+FM a write-off.

Last edited by Peter Cornwell; 20th July 2007 at 11:23. Reason: Wrong font
Old 20th July 2007, 17:12
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

Thanks Peter. Most helpful. This is probably the correct identity for F1+FM. Can anyone provide the crew positions and full names of the crewmen on this aircraft? Also, is there any clue in the records as to the precise location of this crash? Clearly there was a village or small town nearby where an initial interment of the deceased crewmembers might have occurred. In the seven or eight photos I have seen of this crash, there is no indication of a temporary crew burial at the immediate site of the crash.

Regards,