Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 13th October 2015, 13:50
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Hello to Canada re Bristol Fighter F.2b's

Hello,
While searching for info on a Bristol Fighter F.2b I found to my surprise that Canada had acquired only two ?

When I checked the serial numbers in the Air Britain "J" file I found the following Bristol Fighter F.2b serial numbers -
F4334 became C-CYBC, as did F4336.
also that D7869 became C-CYDP.
So three Bristol Fighter F.2b aircraft not two?

However I find on the "Canadian Serials" online that F3518 became C-CYDP ? So I checked the serial number F3518.

The serial number belonged to an FE.2b a quite different aircraft with a pusher engine.

So if the info re F3518 is correct then it was an FE.2b and not a Bristol Fighter F.2b.

So which are the correct aircraft and serial numbers for the Canadian Bristol Fighter F.2b's ?

Thanks
Alex
Old 13th October 2015, 16:45
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Hello to Canada re Bristol Fighter F.2b's

Hello,

Canadian civil aircraft 1919-1929 were registered - G-CXXX, not C-CXXX.

Col.
Old 13th October 2015, 19:35

Bill Walker is on a distinguished road

I should have been clearer on my web pages. The entry for G-CYDP reads "Ex RAF F3518 (from Griffin)." I know this serial number is incorrect, since F3518 is not a Bristol Fighter serial, but I don't have anything to go on beyond the entry in Griffin's first book on Canadian Military serials. I suspect that Griffin copied this serial number from the RCAF Record Card, and the original typo was made by some nameless RCAF clerk 90 years ago. It certainly wouldn't be the only typo in these Cards.

I suspect that D7869 may be the correct identity for 'DP, if that is how the British sources report it.

From my research there were only two Bristol Fighters flown in Canada in this time period, and no FE.2 aircraft.
Old 13th October 2015, 21:14
Alter Hase

Hello Bill,
Your comment is most welcome.
It did stump me for a while.

From "J" File.
D7869 - To Canada; Became G-CYDP; TOC 19.4.21; Used at Camp Borden.
F4334 - 105 Sqn to 2.20; To Canada; Became G-CYBC; TOC 6.8.20; Used at Camp Borden (Floats ordered ); SOC 7.2.22.
F4336 - To Canada and became G-CYBC; TOC 6.8.20; SOC 7.2.22.

note same datesfor '34 and '36 ??

Thanks Col for the "G" I must need glasses
Alex
Old 14th October 2015, 17:09

Thanks for that Alex. I assume the entry for F4334 must be in error. F4336/G-CYBC was part of the Imperial Gift, and would have arrived in Canada in the fall of 1919, in a packing crate. Most of these aircraft did not receive a Canadian registration until they were unpacked, assembled, and test flown. If F4334 was still in use in the UK in 1920 we can assume it never went to Canada.

As an aside, D7869/G-CYDP was not part of the Imperial gift, but was purchased directly by the Canadian government in 1921. As I said before, I have only ever found records of two Bristol Fighters in the RCAF: one from the Imperial Gift and one direct purchase.
Old 20th October 2015, 13:25
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Alex (and Bill)

There is clearly a few mistakes in Air Britain's J-File.
Both F4334 and F4336 cannot have become G-CYBC

The details regarding D7869 are also highly suspect, at least if the latest research made by Griffin and Stachiw is to be believed. If D7869 ever went to Canada it is not recognised as going into any RCAF use.

Bill, I must presume you have their book Early Canadian Military Aircraft Vol 1 from 2009? Perhaps you just forgot to look in it?

According to this book RCAF received two aircraft, both part of the Imperial Gift!

G-CYBC ex F4336 TOS 6.8.1920 SOC 7.2.1922 (a former presentation aircraft 'Huddersfield-Canada' and used by 1 Sq CAF and its commander Lt A.E. McKeever in England as his personal aircraft, where it was already received in mid January 1919. Crated and shipped to Canada sometime in 1920)

G-CYDP ex F4518 TOS 19.4.1921 SOC 29.8.1923 (previously used by the British Air Attaché in Washington, USA and sent by rail to Canada and arrived on 24.2.1921)

As we can see the faulty serial F3518 (either a misprint in the records or in Griffin's first book) has now been corrected.

BTW the book is a veritable goldmine of details and I have to admit one of the best books written on a RCAF subject. So Alex, I can very much recommend it. Buy it!!

Cheers
Stig
Old 20th October 2015, 20:38

Thanks Stig. I do have that book, and I forgot to check it. So many airplanes, so little time.
Old 20th October 2015, 20:55
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

I thought so Bill

The more books and stuff one collect the harder it is to remember them all...at the right time....

But that's why we are here, to help each other out!

Cheers
Stig
Old 23rd October 2015, 01:45
Alter Hase

Hello Stig,
Thank you for your input and book reference.
Details on the aircraft is most welcome.
Alex