Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd February 2018, 14:57

Richard Mills is on a distinguished road
Major Kurt Leonhardy Signature ? (Kdr. II./KG 54)

I am hoping that someone can help me identify the signature on the attached from a Luftwaffe Wehrpass dated 05/06/1940.

The Wehrpass seems to of been retrospectively filled in/compiled following his death in action on 19/05/1940 in France.

It seems that II./KG 54 was about to have a change of Gruppenkommandeur on 20/07/1940. The stamp at the bottom says Oberstleutnant, which was crossed out and replaced by 'Major' in handwriting. So they apparently didn’t have time yet to have a new stamp made when this Wehrpass was filled in.

Rudolf Koester is listed as Gruppenkommandeur on 05/06/1940 however, his signature is contained elsewhere in the associated paperwork grouping and it is definalty not his signature.

On that date Kurt Leonhardy was still a Major. The only problem is that he isn't listed as assuming Kommandeur II./KG 54 untill 20/07/1940.

To myself at least, the signature 'looks' like it could be Leonhardy, and I am hoping someone might have an example to compare with, or indeed to offer some help or assistance accordingly.

All help as usual will be very well received.

Regards Richard.
Old 3rd February 2018, 15:42

gwdsoldat is on a distinguished road
Re: Major Kurt Leonhardy Signature ? (Kdr. II./KG 54)

Hello Richard,
also what I can read.
"Gefechtsstand" and "i.V", on behalf of.
Hope it will be usefull.
Best regards
Manfred