Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Community > General

General Please use this forum to post feedback, suggestions and problems relating to 12oclockhigh.net

Old 10th May 2006, 01:45

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings Errata and Addenda

Dear Ruy,

It still needs editing. Please replace "­" with "-". For. vol. 1, page 156, please replace "aircraft¹s" with "aircraft's". For vol. 1, page 200, please replace "Š." with "...." for the first entry and "..." for the second. Also for page 200, please replace "Junker¹s" with "Junker's".

For vol. 2, page 230, please replace "Š" with "...". For vol. 2, page 233, please replace both "Š." with "...".

Ruy, there really are far too many conversion issues here for me to go through them all. Please try re-entering the whole thing.

Regards,
Richard

(EDIT R.Horta: originally part of the following thread http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=4760)
Old 10th May 2006, 02:03

Dear Ruy,

Better yet, here it is with a bit of working using the copy Ken sent to me:

I am grateful to a number of people who have pointed out errors in captions to both Volume One and Two and these are listed below. These include further corrections to Volume One, received after Volume Two had gone to press.

ERRATA – Volume One

Chapter 5
Page 86 – Lower caption. The Ju 88 identified is not the one recovered from the sea (Ju 88 A-5 W.Nr. 0886146) but instead Ju 88 C-2 W.Nr. 0881033 recovered from a Norwegian mountain site where it had remained exposed to extreme weather conditions for around 50 years. The reference to the effectiveness of the anodised internal finish remains just as pertinent.

Chapter 7
Page 159 – Bottom photograph caption. Type identification should read "Bf 109 G-6/R6", not "G-2/R6". The Werknummer stated is also incorrect (see Addendum).

ADDENDA – Volume One

Chapter 7
Page 156 – Bottom photograph. Caption should include the aircraft’s Werknummer of 10639. This is the aircraft now displayed at RAF Museum. Hendon.

Appendix A
Page 200 – Paragraph two; line 8. After "….63 and 65 lower surfaces." add, "(In all Sweden eventually would receive 40 Ju 86s from Germany)."
Page 200 – Paragraph two, line 12. After "… the Swedish order." add, "The Hungarian order was eventually increased to 66, 63 of which are known to have been delivered as bombers, with the remaining three possibly supplied in transport configuration. Austria received three Ju 86s, but all were returned to Junker’s Dessau plant before the Anchluß."

Page 202 - last paragraph. "In 1942, Germany also honoured an export agreement with Turkey for the supply of 75 Fw 190 A-3 aircraft, which were delivered in standard Luftwaffe camouflage of the period."

ERRATA - Volume Two

Introduction.
Page 230 -Paragraph Two – From line 7, commencing "Included with this volume are…" text is a repeat of the opening of following paragraph.

Chapter 8
Page 233 - Photograph caption, delete "was" after "….03+F(or E)20, …."

Chapter 9
Page 237 - Top caption, "-" missing after word "staff"

Chapter 10
Page 251 – Top caption, should read in part, "…’White 4’ marking identifying it as 7. Staffel, III. Gruppe…" (not "4 Staffel"). Further, the reference to the aircraft in the foreground as "..the Gruppen Adjutant’s aircraft…" is ambiguous. It was not intended to imply that it was the Gruppen Adjutant’s aircraft of III. Gruppe, but rather ‘a Gruppen Adjutant’s aircraft’, as indicated by the lack of ‘sine wave’ form of III. Gruppe marking (poor syntax on my part).

Chapter 11
Page 262 - Lower right hand captiondelete last sentence "The purpose of the white circle is unknown". (See caption to photograph, Chapter 10, page 252 upper left.)

Page 301 – Bottom caption, "letters" should read "markings".

Chapter 12
Page 305 – Lower photograph caption should read "the black overall finish applied to the sides and lower surfaces (upper surfaces retained their original two-tone camouflage) with the…"

Page 310 – Left hand caption, centre, line 2. Delete comma after "was" in "…again was, 76…"

Page 311 – Bottom caption, line 1, insert "of NJG 1" after "…this Ju 88 G"

Chapter 13
Page 319 – The caption, as printed, applied to two photographs of this aircraft, the photograph inadvertently deleted from the book showing the code "6X" marked in white outline form as noted in the existing caption. The "X" can just be discerned in the existing photograph, in the shadow of the crew member standing on the ground.

Chapter 17
Page 361 - Captions to diagrams at bottom of page are reversed.

Chapter 17
Page 370 – Last paragraph. Reference the comment, quote,
"Photographs show the same four-letter code, TS+MA, applied to several aircraft, Bf 109s and Fw 190s…" is incorrect. The TS+MA codes appeared only on two Fw 190s, not on any Bf 109s.

Page 364 – Lower caption should read " Bf 109 G-2 (or -4) trop aircraft…" not "G-6 trop aircraft…"

Appendix F
Page 408 - source credit to top photograph missing, "…..via F. Grabowski."

Appendix G
Page 427 - Bottom caption, line 2, "coded" should read "code"

Appendix H
Page 433 - top right photograph, aircraft type misidentified as "Ju 88". Delete existing caption and replace with the following;
"Me 410, Werknummer 130378, demonstrates the very low position used on this type for marking of the Werknummer, the location being common to most Messerschmitt fighter aircraft. However, the size of the numerals as shown here, was larger than those normally seen on the type. The relatively low positioning of the Hakenkruez marking was another characteristic of the Me 410 tail markings."

Appendix I
Page 443 – Lower middle caption, should read "….Bf 109 E-7/b trop of 7./ZG 1….." not "Bf 109 F trop"
Old 10th May 2006, 14:53
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Thanks Richard, I've edited the original post accordingly.

This was not an issue caused by the forum and as such I do not understand why you were addressing this to me and not to the original posting member.

Although I at times edit material to help out, it is not my responsibility.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 10th May 2006, 15:11

Dear Ruy,

I didn't look closely at who put up the errata but, regardless, you'd be the one to fix it. Anyway, we now have redundant material in this thread. Please feel free to edit it down to the initial message.

Regards,
Richard
Old 10th May 2006, 20:59
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Content management

Richard,

On this occasion I did offer the original poster assistance:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...2838#post22838

But I do not agree with your assessment. Although I am responsible for the look and general content of this forum, this does not include micro management of every post.

The content of a post is the responsibility of the posting member, unless it clearly breaks the rules of the forum or society.

There are occasions when I do make minor alterations, but I'd like to keep such intrusions to an absolute minimum.

This conforms to my laissez-faire attitude running the forum and should not come as real surprise to anyone who's familiar with TOCH.

Let me thank you again for providing the correct version of the text, I am certain that it will be appreciated by the community.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 19th May 2006, 14:20

Re: Content management

Dear Ruy,

As a fellow website manager, I do understand your position. My assumption here was that Chevron, whose post this was but their second, might not be the best choice to straighten out the mess, but rather, considering the importance of the posting, yourself, instead.

I do agree about your comments about avoiding micro-managing. It could consume far too much time attempting to do it.

Regards,
Richard