Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th October 2020, 08:57
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Franz-Walter Woidich wounded?

Hi Guys

This could be a question for Matti. Woidich receives the wounded badge in black on 10th May 1943, yet I can find no loss for him, naturally he could have been wounded or injured on the ground. There is a gap in his claiming between 6th May 1943 and 5th July 1943, but then June 1943 was a relative quiet period prior to the 5th July offensive.

Also we have speculated about his total, the old values state 110 victories, the mikrofilms have only eight-one, plus one post mikrofilm with JG400. He is alleged to have claimed twenty-eight "kills" in July 1944(think this information comes from Hans Ring) these are all multiple claims per day, this is completely out of character for him, moreover on 11th June 1944 he received the Ritterkreuz. I am assuming that he then has leave before he transfers to JG400, also JG52 was constantly on the move during this period and made noticeably few claims. On top of this Woidich's abschüßelist gives his total as eighty-two. My friend Bernd Barbas was to meet him to question him about this, but sadly Woidich was taken ill, and sadlt died.

Personally I think Herr Ring was having a joke on us? But I wonder there this 110 total came from, I don't think from Woidich himself, and did he even know I wonder that it was attributed to him?
Actually he would appear to have been a honest claimer, so I doubt he exaggerated his total post-war, naturally he could have made twenty-eight unconfirmed claims throughout the war. I seem to remember that Bernd had actually never met Woidich, which implies that Woidich never attended JG52 reunions, so wasn't much interested in his wartime exploits, and might explain how he didn't even know that "110" had been attributed to him.

Woidich's claims match the mikrofilms exactly. So what do you all think?

Keep well

Johannes
Old 30th October 2020, 10:36
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough
Re: Franz-Walter Woidich wounded?

I have not found any NVM for Franz-Walter Woidich. The only Woidich is the following:

1941-12-12, 5./JG 27, Bf 109 F-4 Trop, 8427, Fl.Pl. Derna
Flugzeugführer Obfhr Woidich, Franz (* 1921-01-02, EM 58115/42)
Motorbrand beim Anlassen und von eigener Truppe zerstört. Bruch 100 %.

Obviously he was OK after this and therefore not eligible for wounded badge. However, it is possible that he was wounded on ground in 1943, but unfortunately I have not all of ground losses in my database.

Matti
Old 30th October 2020, 10:40
Alter Hase

Thanks Matti

As we think possible whilst on the ground.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 31st October 2020, 08:34
Alter Hase

Have just gone over Woidich again.

I now believe he received his Ritterkreuz whilst at 3./JG52, probably by Adolf Borchers.

His Lancaster claim on 22nd April 1945 he absent from his abschüßelist, and if it ever was there is only one candidate a 153 squadron aircraft on a raid on Bremen.

Woidich had one A.S.M claim, it was without a witness, however Woidich includes it in his list(his 16th) Franz Schall was his rottenflieger, the crash-site is recorded exactly, Rudolf Miethig signs the paperwork as his Staffelkapitän, and Johannes Wiese as his Kommandeur.

A correction to my previous statement, Bernd Barbas did meet Woidich, he tried to get him to attend JG52 reunions, but Woidich seemed reluctant, and never attended any.

KInd Regards

Johannes