Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th January 2015, 12:44

stefaan
Ju 52 Libyan Clipper

Hi Guys.
Has the question about who this aircraft belonged to been settled??
On numerous occasions forums mentioned it belonged to a RAF sqdn, but which one??
I am asking because in many of the SAAF photo albums it is shown as on our bases, and being serviced, loaded by what looks like South African round crew. The SAAF also operated many captured Ju 52's as we had them in the SAAF, ex SAA.
Has anybody seen evidence that it was in the SAAF, or definite RAF??
Thx
Stefaan
Old 29th January 2015, 13:20
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju 52 Libyan Clipper

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P04699.001

http://www.ww2incolor.com/australian...N-CLIPPER.html

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/thompson.htm
Jan 31st 1942
"Went up again this afternoon to do formation and evading attacks. Had three hours flying today. Les Bradbury & Tom Briggs are going on leave tomorrow in the Ju52 which the S.A.A.F. got at Derna. Bobby & I are going out in a truck tomorrow to check up on the planes we found today."
Old 29th January 2015, 13:35
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Stefaan,

This story seems to suggest that a/the Libyan Clipper (also?) served with No. 3 Squadron RAAF. See http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/thompson.htm

Dates in story with reference to a/the Clipper are Feb. 11, 1942 and March 8, 1942.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 29th January 2015, 20:56

stefaan

Hi Guys.
Sure looks like the RAAF operated it, but I am interested in the chap saying we got it at Derna.
It looks like it was used as a transport a/c by them .
Will check further around those dates if I can find some logbooks that reflect those dates that states the Clipper.
I have one guy that flew a number of different multi engined a/c from 24 SAAF that has some shots of it in his album.
He may have flown it as well.
Thx
Stefaan
Old 29th January 2015, 22:26
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Well Stefaan

At least four captured Luftwaffe Ju 52/3m were used officially by SAAF with serials 26-27 and 29-30
RAF also officially used at least two Ju 52/3m HK919 and HK920 which I could find.
Unfortunately record keeping seems not to have been their primary job in the Desert (but they had probably better things to do anyway..., so it looks like we have lost the identities of these six aircraft. If Libyan Clipper was one of those, no idea, but if Libyan Clipper was a seventh Ju then the conclusion has to be (with tounge in cheek) did they have a routed traffic over to the Allied side??

Cheers
Stig
Old 30th January 2015, 07:59

Doug Norrie

Hi Stefaan,
Re the 'Libyan Clipper':

I can't help with the Derna origin (but its a good lead) but I can give you some dates for the Clipper as recorded by 450 Sqn RAAF from diaries, logbooks and the ORB, arriving and leaving Gambut, Libya. I have no knowledge that it was 450's aircraft but it was used for ferrying the pilots to Cairo on leave and bringing back beer, developed photographs etc for the sqn in 1942. It was not piloted by the sqn. It mainly flew from Gambut Main to Cairo and back when 239 Wing was there from Feb. to June 1942. After that it is not recorded.
Dates:
17 Feb. 1942: Arrived at Gambut Main with German prisoners aboard and refuelled by the sqn's ground staff.
23 March 1942: To Gambut Main from Cairo with items for sqn.
6 April 1942: Arrived at Gambut Main.
12 April 1942: Sgt. T.E.N. Crouch (450 Sqn) flew as second pilot to P/O Pearson in the JU 52 ‘Libyan Clipper’ on a flight from Gambut to Cairo on leave. (Courtesy Crouch logbook)

(P/O, or Sgt Pearson was being rested from operations from 238 Sqn RAF and became the regular pilot for the 'Libyan Clipper' taking persons on leave)
27 April 1942: Duke of Gloucester and AVM Coningham arrived to visit 239 Wing's sqns at Gambut No.1 Sat.
18 May 1942: Mr R.G. Casey, the newly appointed British Minister of State in the Middle East arrived at Gambut No.1 Sat. to visit 239 Wing.

No other dates after that.

12 April 1942 gives the pilot's name as Pearson.
Could be Sgt P. Pearson RAFVR from 238 Sqn RAF in 1941 and/or P/O P. Pearson RAFVR from 80 Sqn RAF, KIA 29/5/1942. Both sqns with Hurricanes as per Shores et all in 'Mediterranean Air War' Vols 1 and 2.

Butler/'War Prizes' has serial No. as possibly HK919.

Hopes this helps.
Doug
Old 30th January 2015, 09:59

stefaan

Hi guys.
Thx for the replies.
Stig, as you mentioned, it was a busy shuttle service along the desert coastline, and 5 SAAF wing did it on a daily basis.
I tend to think that it was flown by the SAAF but was a regular visitor at all the Allied basis. All mentions in the RAAF diaries are done by people that were passengers, and no pilots that said they flew it.
Since the SAAF operated Ju 52's I would assume that their pilots with current ratings on that type would have been used to fly it, which was more likely SAAF as we operated the type. I have also found documents from DAF HQ asking all units who come across Ju 52 wrecks to contact the SAAF MU so that they can go and pick up parts for their Ju 52's, and no mention of the RAAF.
It is a pity nobody recorded which Ju 52's got which SAAF serials although I have a few.
Thx
Stefaan
Old 30th January 2015, 13:40

AndreasB is on a distinguished road

I have 18 Ju 52 found on Derna LG during the December advance. The biggest haul on any LG, reflecting the air bridge that ran from Greece to Derna.

http://rommelsriposte.com/2011/10/29...ce-5-dec-1941/

No mention of their state.

http://rommelsriposte.com/2014/03/22...december-1941/

All the best

Andreas
Old 30th January 2015, 15:35

stefaan

Hi Andreas.
Thx a mil. Very good gen you gave me.
Does anybody know what were the Werkno's of those Ju 52's??
I have a photo of a Ju 52 just saying captured at Benine, so it must be one of thiose.There are NO markings on any of them. I have two badges ie Kreta and Tobruk as nose art, but no German markings of those a/c
Tobruk became SAAF no 26
The one at Benine has no badges visible on the photo. The pilot who said it was from Benine belonged to 2 SAAF.
Hope that helps you as well.
I saw the other lists in your blogs. I don't havre that med air war book unless it is the Shores book.
Is that so??
Stefaan
Old 31st January 2015, 08:32

AndreasB is on a distinguished road

That's the one Stefaan.

All the best

Andreas