Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th May 2010, 22:19

cj mohr is on a distinguished road
Seeking help with research about JG-52 and JG-51 during Zitadelle

Hello,

I've been impressed with the depth of research demonstrated in the discussions on this forum. I am trying to locate research materials relating to both German and Soviet air units involved in the Kursk battle of July-August 1943. Any help in finding primary sources relating to the unit histories of JG's 51 and 52 would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, I am trying to flesh out the day to day activities of several pilots, who seem to have had particularly interesting days during 5 July 1943-August 1943.

Erich Hartmann flew with Krupinski on 5 July, and was affected by Krupinski's hospitalization following a disastrous avoidance maneuver on landing with a damaged plane at Ugrim. I am curious who was wingman for Hartmann during Kursk, and also who Krupinski's wingman was on 5 July.

I have also read that Krupinski claimed 11 kills on 5 July 1943 before his ground loop accident. I am curious if this is widely accepted, or if the specifics of time place altitude and type of enemy are known. Is a copy of Krupinski's logbook for the period available?

Another story I am trying to look into comes from Toliver and Constable's "The Blonde Knight of Germany". If I read it correctly, it indicates that Johannes Wiese achieved 12 kills on 5 July 1943, and also was forced down himself 5 times! That seems like a hugely busy day, and I have been seeking details of Wiese's forcedowns. I wonder if this was a translation error, as I have found another source which indicates Wiese was forced down 5 times over the course of his career. Can anyone clarify this?

Finally, regarding JG-51 during Kursk, the story of Hubert Strassl downing 15 Soviet planes on 5 July is quite remarkable. If anyone has any information, or knows of resources either confirming or refuting this story, I would greatly appreciate the help.

I have questions about the Soviet forces arrayed in the North and South of the Kursk bulge, but I will post those later in a separate thread.

To everyone who posts here, thank you for providing your insights and research. I feel this is one way to keep history alive and relevant.

Christer Bergstrom, your book "Kursk-The Air Battle:July 1943", is a tremendous help. Thanks.