Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 5th November 2010, 15:15

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: New Fw 190 book and new publishing company

Hello,

I thought I'd let members know that our Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Battle for Sicily book has received another very positive review, this time written by Neil Page.

As previously mentioned, the book is available only from the company website, http://www.airwarpublications.com.

Kind regards,
Andrew Arthy & Morten Jessen
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:06

JP Vieira is on a distinguished road

Very intereting project: congratulations
Old 29th November 2010, 18:10

CortoM is on a distinguished road

I received my book a few weeks ago.
Its worth!!!
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:36

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone,

We have some news and updates for our publishing company, Air War Publications, that we’d like to share with you.

Important news for customers in the United States is that they can now order the company’s first book, Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Battle for Sicily, via Amazon.com. The book can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Focke-Wulf-Fw-...6610442&sr=1-1

Both of our upcoming book projects are progressing well. We have begun to work closely with our Russian co-author on the Air War Courland project, and continue to steadily gather more research material. Work on the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Defending Southern Italy book (covering the period 3 September 1943 – 21 January 1944) is also advancing well. We have already obtained many of the most important primary sources, but are always searching for more. If anyone has photographs or documents that they would like to contribute to either of these book projects, please contact us via the company website.

As can be seen on the reviews page of the company site, our first book continues to receive praise from various readers and reviewers. Extracts from the book will also appear in an upcoming edition of German aviation magazine Flugzeug Classic.

New bonus material related to the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Battle for Sicily book has been added to the company website, and this should be of interest to visitors to this forum. The bonus material includes the following:

USAAF victory claims against the Fw 190
This bonus material matches USAAF aerial victory claims for Fw 190s with known data from the German perspective in the period 14 May 1943 to 2 September 1943. This has been created with the permission of Frank Olynyk, whose USAAF victory claims list provided a starting point for our research. USAAF and Luftwaffe units have been identified for almost every combat listed in the document.

Technical Notes
This bonus material covers various technical aspects of the service of the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Mediterranean theatre between 14 May 1943 and 2 September 1943, including: the aircraft repair and maintenance situation; Fw 190 variants operated in Sicily, Sardinia and Italy in the summer of 1943; weaponry used by the Fw 190 units; and other Fw 190 equipment such as tyres, drop tanks and radios.

Best Regards,
Andrew Arthy & Morten Jessen
Air War Publications – www.airwarpublications.com
Old 25th April 2011, 12:41

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Arthy View Post
---------------------------------
> 14.06.1943, W.Nr. 0899:
> in the appendix is mentioned the pilot Gerhard Krüger but I have found the pilot
> Oblt. Ernst Schneider

Morten and I have page 40 of RL 8/20, which includes the following: “13.6. 1600 UHR: FW 190 A 5 / U 8, W M R 899, TAKT. ZEICHEN : WEISZ A.-
AUFTRAG: ANGRIFF AUF SCHIFFE VOR PANTELLERIA.-”

Unfortunately, for some reason we do not have page 41, on which other details (such as the pilot’s name) appear. Perhaps you would be kind enough to share this page with us?

We used other sources to fill in the gaps. The Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. loss list stated that a III./SKG 10 aircraft with the W.Nr 0899 suffered 30 per cent damage in a crash-landing at San Pietro after an operation on 13 June 1943. The III./SKG 10 war diary (RL 10/361) reports only one such incident in mid-June, with the entry for a mission between 10:05 and 11:15 on 14 June 1943 reading: “Lt. Krüger nach Erledigung des Auftrages Bruchlandung in S. Pietro, unverletzt.” We felt that the Krüger incident was the same as the one in the entries for W.Nr 899 in the Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. records and RL 8/20.

Oblt. Schneider flew missions with III./SKG 10 in April 1943, on 6 and 26 June, and then again in late-August 1943. However, there is no record that he flew any missions on 13 or 14 June 1943, when the incident involving W.Nr 899 happened.
On my last visit in Freiburg I checked the telegram "Geheim Nr.40" again and on the backside of this document you find the name of the pilot and it was - like I wrote - Oblt. Ernst Schneider and not Lt. Krüger.

best greetings
Rasmussen
Old 26th April 2011, 13:45

Hi Rasmussen,

Thanks for checking this for us.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 20th April 2016, 19:50

Lagarto

Bargain alert - the price for the 'Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Battle for Sicily' at Amazon has just dropped from $55 (list price) to $35.96.
Old 21st April 2016, 03:33
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Dear Morten and Andrew,

I am reluctant to sound like I know it all but I have been in the book publishing business (fiction) for many years. This type of communication is perfect and every book publisher should imitate it. Links, reviews, answers to questions... I have been involved in marketing books as well. In my opinion, a superb job in telling people about your work.

Best regards,

Ed West
Old 22nd April 2016, 07:53

Hi Ed,

Thanks! We find that between the website, Facebook, the various discussion forums and our newsletter, we reach most of the people who are interested in what we are doing.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:55
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Hi Andrew,

You're welcome and all the best for the future.

Ed