Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th December 2007, 00:16
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Bomber Command top "aces" ( in terms of Nº of missions )

Good night to all!
I was wondering IF there is some link like those we find on Luftwaffe bomber and ground assault aces, informing the total number of missions of top RAF Bomber Aces?
I remember reading that W/C Gibson flew some 170 missions; W/C "Pop" Wheeler 158 missions; some of the Mosquito airmen I contacted flew more than 100 missions.
Who were the top "ranking" RAF´s Bomber pilots ( in number of missions flown )? Even in some sites that deals with famous aces´s biographies, one does not know the exact number of missions...
Thanks for any link or information on the above.
Adriano
Old 14th December 2007, 12:15
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Bomber Command top "aces" ( in terms of Nº of missions )

The name Alec "Pathfinder" Cranswick comes to mind. I believe there was a biography published, many years ago. Mike Bowyer did publish a book called "Bomber Barons" which presumably covered much of your interest, but I'm afraid I don't have a copy.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:23
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Bomber Command top "aces" ( in terms of Nº of missions )

Hi Graham!
Thank you for joining this thread. Yes, it seems strange that when we search about Luftwaffe airmen, this kind of information do appear easily ( Nº of missions flown ); however on the Allied side, it is uncommon to see the number of missions edited on the sites - even Oficial sites!!
For example:
How many missions "Tirpitz" Tait, DSO*** had flown? And Beurling ( of Malta fame )? Or let´s take a less famous pilot, who flew Strike missions with 248 Squadron: S/L Charles Frank Rose, DFC, DFM. How many missions flown? We can not find those things, unless obtaining personal contacts or direct information from books...Why?
Thanks again for sharing your points of view and information
Yours
Adriano