Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 29th April 2005, 14:52

Jean Vervalle
C-47 Tail Fin Letter

Need urgent help! Who can help me to find the tail fin letter of a C-47 from 439th TCG / 93rd TCS Sn. 42-100876, squadron identification letters "3B". The plane crashed the night from 5 to 6 June 44 in Picauville. Pilot was 1Lt. Marvin MUIR. Pilot and his crew were KIA as also one paratrooper (maybe his name if possible) I believe that the MACR is 7289.
The information is needed for a memorial plate on a monument.
All my thanks to the persons that can help me.
Old 29th April 2005, 18:15
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough
Re: C-47 Tail Fin Letter

I do not know "Bob" Muir's tail letter (awarded a posthumous DSC ). The 439th has a fairly complete historical file at the USAFHRA at Maxwell AFB (I would send them a letter on an offical letterhead). I checked one of the better published TCG histories (INTO THE VALLEY by Col. Charles H. Young), but it was not there.

The paratroops on board were Chalk 58, from the 506th Patatroop Infantry Regiment. Unit files at the US National Archives or the Army Cemter for Military History at Carlisle Barracks, PA may be able to provide the name of the one lost in the airplane.