Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st July 2010, 19:22

AndrewB is on a distinguished road
BoB Chivalry: Hauptmann Rolf Pingel

Afternoon All. First time caller, long time lurker etc.

I'm doing some research on the more unusual encounters that occurred during the Battle of Britain. One of the stories I have come across involves:

"Hauptman Rolf Pingel of 1/JG26 falls victim to the guns of Pilot Officer Bob Doe of No.234 Squadron. Pingel ditched in the Channel and was picked up by a German E-Boat." (link)

"In August 1940 he [Bob Doe] damaged an Me109 and chased it across the Channel. When the German pilot ejected his cockpit canopy Bob knew he was finished and would soon crash into the sea many miles from the French coast. “I flew alongside him. It was the first time I had seen a German in the air. He had taken off his oxygen mask. I wished him ‘bonne chance’ and turned for home. I could not have shot him down in cold blood.”" (link)

I have found interviews in which Bob spoke of this, and mentions that he met Pingle after corresponding with his widow after the war. The only thing I can find from the Luftwaffe/Pingle's "point of view is:

"On 22 August 1940,..Pingel reported to JG 26 to take up the role of Gruppenkommandeur of I...On 28 September, Pingel shot down a RAF Hurricane fighter over Maidstone but his own aircraft, Bf 109 E-4 (W.Nr. 3756), was badly damaged in the combat. He ditched near Hastings and was rescued by the German air-sea rescue services....It is thought that Pingel was..shot down by British ace John Beard (6 destroyed, 1 probable and 3 damaged victories) of 249 Sqn, RAF" (link)

Can anyone shed some more light on this event - perhaps an account from Pingel? I suspect that the encounter in question did take place on Sept 28th as opposed to August as mentioned in Doe's obituary. Nothing in my BoB library mentions this event, and the usual web searches have been unsucessful..

Best,

Andrew B
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:32
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: BoB Chivalry: Hauptmann Rolf Pingel

Here's what I have:

Bf 109E-4, 3756PINGEL, Hptm. Rolf, Stab I./JG 26, CI+EV. 28-Sep-40, Luftkampf with Hurricanes from 249 Sq. Notwasserung. Rescued by Seenotdienst., WIA?, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #2)-Vol.3; Prien, et al, Die Jagdfliegerverbände, IV.1, p.294; Caldwell, JG 26 War Diary, I, p.78; Mason, p.421; BoB, T&N, p.665
vor Hastings100%, Built 1-Sep-40 at Regensburg., 15.00
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:08

SMF144

Geoff Nutkins covered this incident in a painting entitled 'A Gentleman's War'.

Check it out.

http://www.aviartnutkins.com/limited...lemans_War.php
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:37

AndrewB is on a distinguished road

thanks both

SMF144, it was that painting that first attracted my attention - the lack of a date began my investigations..