Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th February 2011, 10:09

marketc47 is on a distinguished road
How to find out fate of crew

Hi,

Researching a JU 88 crash, I was lucky to receive some names of the crew. Thanks to this forum.
I know that two or three of the crew members perished. Now I want to find out the names of those who died.

Maybe someone can help.
The names I am looking for are here:
Kurt Mittendorf / Wittendorf
Josef von Milius
Werner Lefkes
Erich Stifter
Johann Blever

Looking forward to any replies that might reveal the fate of these crew members or to places where I can continue my search.

Hans

www.airbornetroopcarrier.com
Old 26th February 2011, 11:54
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: How to find out fate of crew

Try http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche.html, register and then enter all your names.

If you find some of them, the death/missing date (the latter maybe rounded to the month or year) will be indicated, and for a good part of them the deathplace.

If you don't find them, that proves nothing: this base is not a complete list of German casualties, especially Luftwaffe ones.

Gook luck

Laurent
Old 26th February 2011, 11:55

hucks216 is on a distinguished road

The only one of those names listed in the Volksbund Database that might be Luftwaffe is the first one...

Kurt Mittendorf ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Champigny-St.Andre.
Endgrablage: Block 17 Grab 1698
Nachname: Mittendorf
Vorname: Kurt
Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
Geburtsdatum: 13.04.1922
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 22.08.1944

There is an Erich Stifter listed but the one on the database was a member of the Waffen-SS.
Old 26th February 2011, 13:02

Khorat is on a distinguished road

von Milius, Stifter, Blever and Lefkes all reported as POW.

thought we discuss this before (or at another Forum ?)

khorat
Old 26th February 2011, 13:43
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Yes, see next page on another posting of marketC47 (Hans). Hans, please keep your posts together in one string if it concerns the same subject. Ruy, maybe you can add these postings to the previous one? I think Rod pretty well assessed the last status of these two losses 3C+AR (7./NJG 4) and 3C+CS (8./NJG 4).

John.
Old 26th February 2011, 13:52
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Lists of crewmen killed or captured are held in file AIR2/6385 held at the Public Records Office at Kew London these just show date, place and crew names.. Reports on interrogation of captured aircrew ( K Reports) are held in file AIR40/2421 (Feb.to Mar.1945 or file AIR40/2422 for reports April to June 1945). If any member is going there perhaps they could look these up for you for the Milius crew.
Old 26th February 2011, 14:45

marketc47 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry for putting this and the other thread appart. Did not want to throw any confusion here. Guess I did...sorry.

I checked the Volksbund site, but did not find the needed info. Unless the Mittendorf information is of by date of death.

The info on the files in london sound good. will check if others are going that direction as well.

The JU 88 I am asking about crashed among gliders near Wesel. just got word that there are colour photos of another plane that crashed among gliders. Wonder if someone has scans of those colour photos. Would like to check out if there is some mix up in planes.
From glider pilot reports i know that the JU 88 crashed on the night of 24-25 March. Two or three crew members died.
The glider pilotsleft the area on the evening of the 25th.

Hans
Old 26th February 2011, 15:01

Khorat is on a distinguished road

Yap right there are some colour photos in "Deutsche Nachtjagd - Materialverluste"

khorat