Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 4th December 2017, 14:50

Rikwink is on a distinguished road
Handley Page Hampden AE134 serial number

Can anyone provide me the serial number of this Handley Hampden AE134 that was shot down on 17 august 1941 near Meijel (Netherlands)

Many thanks in advance.
Old 4th December 2017, 15:01
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Handley Page Hampden AE134 serial number

The serial is AE134. If you are asking about the code, it was ZN-?, the individual letter not being recorded in the Sqn Operations Record Book
Old 4th December 2017, 16:08

Thank you Chriss. I meant the manufacturing number.

I've got some metal plates from a Hampden plane mentioning an EEP serial number. I wanted to check if this EEP number is traceable to this particular Hampden AE134.
Old 4th December 2017, 18:10
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Rikwink

EEP stands for English Electric which license built a substantial number of Hampdens.

The general consensus so far is that most British military aircraft did not get any construction numbers or manufacturer's serial numbers . What was applied was airframe numbers and/or part numbers.

I am somewhat hesitant to that, but so far I have not seen any lists which would confirm for example any English Electric factory numbers.

If I have understood the problem correctly there were never any c/n or msn given in any contracts with the British MoD?

However there were exceptions to this rule. De Havilland for instance always gave their aircraft a true c/n.

Cheers
Stig
Old 4th December 2017, 19:02

Ok Stig. Thanks for the clarification, I learned something new.. It looks like this is (unfortunately) an impossible mission.

Kind regards
Rik
Old 5th December 2017, 12:58

Hans Nauta

Hi Rik,

I have an EEP modification plate of a Halifax. Research in the past led to the conclusion that the EEP number could not be tied up with a serial number of a particular aircraft...

Regards,
Hans