Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st December 2009, 15:03

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Where to begin trying to find a picture of a 325th FG pilot who seems to have just disappeared after WW2?

My hunt to find an image of 325th Fighter Group pilot Robert S. Sederberg continues and it is dawning on me that this could just be a forlorn hope!

I have searched the web for this pilot and the only image that I have located (but not seen yet) is one from his 1938 Year Book at:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....hprep1938.html

This is the pilot I am looking for and the only information I have is:

He was born in 1920 in the town of Cook in the State of illinois. He enlisted to the USAAF from civilian life in 1942. His USAAF Serial number was 16066537 when he enlisted

Lt. Robert S. Sederberg's serial number may have changed when he was promoted and this s/n O-664668 is shown on a form and is handscribed as EUS (Evacuted, U.S.)

Sederberg was shot down (and made POW on July 30th 1943) and the info I got from Yunch and tonystro previously tells me the MACR #431 (footnote.com) the aircraft serial number is 42-10898.

I have approached the Cathcart's (325th Historians) previously but they have no images of him recorded, I have written to the Chicago Tribune and Daily Herald and asked for a letter to be printed requesting any relatives to contact me.

But what now? I thought I had a lead after seeing an Obituary for Connee Sederberg who was married to Robert, but it was Robert F Sederberg.

So there I am!

I checked the Obituaries (online) for Robert S Sederberg (none) and also checked the US records for a Death of the above, and it comes back name not recognised, so is he dead?

Gentlemen (and ladies) any help you may have of helping me track down a relative or even a picture of Robert would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, yours MP
Old 21st December 2009, 15:05

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Re: Where to begin trying to find a picture of a 325th FG pilot who seems to have just disappeared after WW2?

I meant to add, what would "EUS or Evacuated U.S" refer to? Does this mean he was sent back to the US once he was freed?

Cheers, MP
Old 21st December 2009, 17:27

udf_00 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where to begin trying to find a picture of a 325th FG pilot who seems to have just disappeared after WW2?

http://www.amazon.com/Checkertail-32.../dp/0816897506

Page 12 : 317th pilots aboard Ranger ( only two unknown )
Sederberg is seated, sixth from left ( he is just below the flag painted on the p-40 in the background )

http://www.amazon.com/Checkertails-3.../dp/0897473167

Page 4 : same pic as above ( only Green identified )

The pic are credited to Major Cecil O. Dean.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:14

dp_burke is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if you have access to ancestry.com but there is the following name listed as having died in Georgia in 1957:

Name: Robert S Sederberg
Death Date: 11 Dec 1957
County of Death: Houston
Race: White
County of Residence: Houston
Certificate: 32841

There is nothign to link him to Illinois other than year of birth!

And his enlistment serial number would have been replaced by the O-... number upon his receiving his commishion as an officer. Similar to RAF practise, a new number for commishioned officers.

Drop a message to the AFHSO and ask what they might have about him.
http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/contact.htm

Regards and happy Christmas

Dennis