Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th October 2017, 12:41
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Oblt/Hptm Wilhlem Knapp

The above was awarded the RK on 2 Nov 40. Prior to this he was St Kap of 3.(F)/121 but it has been written that when he received the award he was St Kap of 3.(F)/123 which I think is a typo. However, he was killed in an accident on 10 June 1944 when he had taken over Aufklärungsgruppe 123. Can anyone confirm this and the cause/details of his death (Matti says the NVM is missing)
Old 11th October 2017, 22:47

bakerman is on a distinguished road
Re: Oblt/Hptm Wilhlem Knapp

You're right, 3.(F)/123 is a typo, 121 is right. Known details of his death is the date 10-6-44 and the place of his grave, Kronberg/Taunus near Frankfurt/Main. A couple of years ago someone told me that he was killed in his Ju188 during a night flight, crashed near Obernau/Giesen or Giessen. Very inaccurate specification, because several Obernau-vilages exists, but not near Giesen or Giessen. About 4 weeks before he took command of (F)123, replacing another RK holder, Hans Wolff.
Old 11th October 2017, 23:42

Heuser is on a distinguished road

Location was the "Sanktkopf", a mountain near the Oberau dam, 5 km E of Netphen during the late hours of 10 June 1944.

Regards,

Heuser
Old 11th October 2017, 23:42
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Two ULTRAs that mention him:

CX/MSS/R193(C),3
Signed Dept. IIA, dated 23/5: With effect from 22/5 Major i.G. Knapp is appointed acting Kommandeur of FAG 123.

CX/MSS/R211(C),13
Signed Knapp dated 9/6:
I intend tomorrow to hold a conference with 3.(F)/122, 5.(F)/123 and Wekusta 51. Staffelkapitäne are to hold themselves ready with the necessary documents. I am bringing courier post with me. Expect me to land after 0300 hours.
NOTE: For appointment of Major i.G. Knapp to acting Kommandeur of (F) 123 w.e.f. 22/5 see MSS/R193(C)3.

I don't have anything on his death but that last message would be consistent with him dying on a flight on the night of 9–10 June, as bakerman suggests.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:23
Alter Hase

Most helpful. Was it a Ju 88 D-6 or a Ju 188 F-1 though? I will admit that the recorded location is vague but no longer thanks to Heuser. I guess aircraft, crew & cause will not be known with a lack of NVM
Old 12th October 2017, 11:33
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Most helpful. Was it a Ju 88 D-6 or a Ju 188 F-1 though?
ULTRA CX/MSS/T194/38
Report issued 23/5 to AO for Recce, signed Technical Officer.
No. 890249
Subject: Stocks of a/c on 20/5.
(F) 123 reports following stocks of multi-engined a/c:
Stab/(F) 123
2 Ju 188 F 1, Works No. 280193.
Ambiguous, but that's what it says. I don't know whether the "2 Ju 188" should read "1 Ju 188" or if a second W.Nr. has been omitted.
Old 13th October 2017, 00:07

Heuser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
... that the recorded location is vague...
Chris - sorry, a typo. It sholud read Obernau, a small hamlet of around 90 inhabitants in 1944 and today a part of Netphen.

Source is an older publication about WW2 in this area. The author got his information from Knapps widow as well as from local eyewitnesses accounts. Knapp was identified by personal documents on the crashside, according to his widow the reason was given with an faulty altimeter.

The type of a/c is given with Ju 88 in this booklet, but as the 188 was widely unknown to common people during WW2, both types were often mixed up.

According to an issue of the "Fliegerblatt", a second crewmember was a Fw. Josef Zimmermann.

Hope this helps,

Heuser
Old 13th October 2017, 09:09
Alter Hase

Thanks again-we are at last getting somewhere after 73 years. Www.ww2.dk sort of helps & I wonder if he was buried in his town of birth? It might appear he was killed on the return flight later on 10 June. No Zimmermann on the VDK site though

Last edited by Chris Goss; 13th October 2017 at 15:44.
Old 14th October 2017, 15:27

bakerman is on a distinguished road

@Chris Goss: His grave is/was not in his town of birth Lübeck but in Kronberg/Taunus near Frankfurt. I have a picture from the grave.
Old 16th October 2017, 09:26
Alter Hase

Thanks Bakerman