Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 4th August 2020, 11:17
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Two German Photo Albums

Hello,

Currently on ebay are two German Photo Albums at:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/2-Fotoalbum-...AAAOSwqDpfKRmZ

Regards,

Clint
Old 4th August 2020, 15:55
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Two German Photo Albums

If I may venture a personal opinion Clint, the two albums are a clear disappointment to me.

Hopefully the buyer will be satisfied with his gain since, whoever it is, has to pay a very hefty prize....

I nicked a few photos, three or four, and the really interesting question is what you think the Voisin III's serial number is? With great hestiation my guess is V.475. Any opinion?
In retrospect, I also fully understand why Aeronautique Militaire required Voisin to beef up the "bicycle" landing gear shown....

Cheers
Stig
Old 4th August 2020, 17:03
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the saying has it. Yet, I'd tend to agree with your judgement, as I would normally be looking for lotos of German aircraft displaying serial numbers in a photo album,ideally where I was pereviously unaware of the type.However I hope other board users may find some merit in the posting. Whether the buyer will see any gain at the price being requested? well frankly I wonder.

As for the Voisin, I concur V.475 of VB 103. I had considered V.425, but even though I can't fully trust my eyes Albindenis has that as a VB 101 machine.

Regards,

Clint
Old 4th August 2020, 20:25
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Indeed Clint

Fully agree on that judgement. Luckily we agree on many things, hence my great joy when you manage to dig up one interesting photo after another!

I checked right now Les escadrilles de l'aeronautique etc and they also says V.475 belonged to VB 103.

Seems pretty safe to clinch this one.

Cheers
Stig
Old 4th August 2020, 22:29

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clint,

31 july 1915 : VB103 went to bomb the airfield of Dalhain (close Morhange). After this bombing Cal Jean Vialatoux (pilot) and Mdl Albert Mellinger (obs) are missing (POW) with Voisin n°V475

Partial source : De l'Etoile à la Cigogne, l'escadrille 103 by Claude Thollon-Pommerol

http://www.asoublies1418.fr/index.ph...escadrille-103

Bertrand
Old 4th August 2020, 23:15
Alter Hase

Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for the additional information. For photo albums that aren't obviously very productive in terms of serial numbers, its good to at least get good information on the Voisin.

Another machine for which more information would be welcome is the crashed Aviatik B.II on the bottom right hand corner of the fifth page. I read this as either B.496 or B.495 while I think the aircraft shown is an Aviatik B.II (P.15) so the bestellnummner would end in /15. B.495/15 also shown in WDF 102 P.22 but no unit is given and the markings differ from those shown here but that may be because its shown at different stages in its career.

Regards,

Clint