Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th May 2020, 16:59
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road
Re: Late war Bf 109 pictures source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmussen View Post
What do you want to ask? Which does mean: "Not really an information"? There is no further "information" on the statements of Dirk.

Why do you bark?
Marc did use the word information, too; it wasn't a problem.

What I want?
I want you to publish a book instead of ...always barking against who doesn't know like you do-who-did-study-the-original-Erla-documents

So please next time you want to bark, bark against Prien, JCM and Gogh who all are TOCH members, it will be fair and more courageous.
Old 8th May 2020, 18:43

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouidjat View Post
Why do you bark?

So please next time you want to bark, bark against Prien, JCM and Gogh who all are TOCH members, it will be fair and more courageous.

"...bark against Prien, JCM and Gogh..." ??????????? --- I think, China has a bigger problem than Corona. My time is too valuable to me to discuss such a nonsense.
Old 8th May 2020, 19:15
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Enough, everybody, no need for anyone to get into a fight.

Please return to calm discussion of Bf 109s.
Old 9th May 2020, 01:35
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi16 View Post
Is it possible that the photo shows a five digit W.Nr.? If the 4"1"3861 is under the red arrow, is there space enough for the first digit to be a 4?

In attached photo, there are both five and six digit W.Nr.'s with approximate same style font and size. The six digit W.Nr. goes all the way back to the rudder hinge taking up the entire space. (I understand that font/size can make a difference.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-André Haldimann View Post
Rasmussen,

Thanks for your solution; if this is indeed W.Nr. 413 861, we have here the highest Erla built Bf 109 G-6 W.Nr. I know of.

Revi16,

thanks for your hypothesis too. IMHO, we have a classic 6 digits W.Nr., as Erla often painted or oversprayed the first digit on the front edge of the tail, like for W.Nr. 463 156 "Schwarze 63" at Salzburg-Maxglan; in this case, the last digit being a "1", they had even room to spare...

Cheers
Marc

Thx for your response. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but am still a bit confused with font size and space allocation.(I'm sure none of this was a priority during production. )

Below is 413721 which takes up the entire space on the vertical stab..(Found at German Airfield in Metz, France. Dec. 20 ,1944)
Both 413721 & 413861 have the same number of 1's in the W.Nr., wouldn't they both take up the same amount of space?

Additionally there appears to be a different font used for the last 1 in each of the above W.Nr's, perhaps my answer.

Regards,

Last edited by Revi16; 9th May 2020 at 15:07.
Old 29th June 2020, 13:42
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

A nice surprise from the East:

This photo does show IMHO an abandoned WNF built Bf 109 G-10/R2 from NAGr. 3 as evidenced by the VBKz "J2+32".
https://vif2ne.org/nvi/forum/files/V...agerovo_hm.jpg

Photographed with Russian aircrews in front of it in May 1945, could the location be Neubrandenburg, the last known airfield used by this unit ?

With my thanks to Spektor, over on modelforum.cz, for the pointer.

Cheers
Marc
Old 29th June 2020, 18:38

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Hello Marc,
Post #995 - Judging by its lower cowling bumps and low CWSDH (Cold Weather Starting Device Hatch, visible by the man with the cane’s right arm) I think this is a Bf109G-14/AS. Also among its technical suite are a larger Fo 987 oil cooler, missing Erla Haube, and a tall wooden tail fin. Its small “J2” code suggests Nahaufklaerungsgruppe 3.
Respectfully,
Steve Sheflin
Old 30th June 2020, 10:04
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Sheflin View Post
Hello Marc,
Post #995 - Judging by its lower cowling bumps and low CWSDH (Cold Weather Starting Device Hatch, visible by the man with the cane’s right arm) I think this is a Bf109G-14/AS. Also among its technical suite are a larger Fo 987 oil cooler, missing Erla Haube, and a tall wooden tail fin. Its small “J2” code suggests Nahaufklaerungsgruppe 3.
Respectfully,
Steve Sheflin
Hello Steve,

Thanks as always for your valued input: i indeed missed out the cold start hatch in the low position, a give-away for a DB 605/AS engine. I can but concur with your analysis: it is indeed a Bf 109 G-14/AS, leaving thus only two possible manufacturers, Mtt or Erla, as WNF never built Bf 109 G-14/AS.

As for the unit, we fully concur.

Cheers
Marc
Old 30th June 2020, 11:01

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Then it's an Mtt. G-14/AS because Erla G-14/AS hadn't the chin bulges...
Old 30th June 2020, 14:56
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmussen View Post
Then it's an Mtt. G-14/AS because Erla G-14/AS hadn't the chin bulges...
Thanks Rasmussen !

So we have now both type and manufacture now pinpointed. W.Nr. and location would sum up our knowledge for this particular plane.

Cheers
Marc
Old 30th June 2020, 17:51

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone,
Regarding the Werknummer of the Bf 109 G shown in Post #968 and further, I thought I had already added a comment, but apparently not.
Having carefully read all posts involved, I am left with the question of why the mysterious third digit cannot be the upper portion of a “two?”
WNrn. of 4608xx, there are no examples that I know of.
The third digit is clearly not a “1,” “4,” or a “5,” so 461xxx, 464xxx and 465xxx are out.
That leaves WNr. 462861, which falls nicely within a large number of Erla-Leipzig-built Bf 109 G-14’s. Supporting this idea is the condensed font style and position of application, both of which are very Erla-Leipzig-built-like.
Respectfully,
Steve Sheflin